Guitar sides

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

KreherGuitars
Beefwood

Guitar sides

Post by KreherGuitars » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:39 am

I have been pondering the pros and cons between laminated sides, and the “composite” sides that many builders I admire now are using. That is, the sides that are super thick with full side length kerfing laminated. Those thick sides are very ridged but weigh a lot more too. And take up air cavity space. What are the thoughts?

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Guitar sides

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:23 am

The main advantage of a laminated side....you don't need to use a full thickness set of valuable tonewood. Inside layer can be wood that is less showy.
Martin

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:50 am

kiwigeo wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:23 am
The main advantage of a laminated side....you don't need to use a full thickness set of valuable tonewood. Inside layer can be wood that is less showy.
And the other main advantage of using double sides is the extra stiffness it produces and also the ability to add some cf at regular centres between the layers, I have used less expensive layer on the inside but usually try to use identical layers.

Cheers
Rod
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:33 pm

Another advantage is very flat sides across their width which in turn should lead to a good binding channel with less work. I am thinking of giving this a go with my most latest build. Amboya outta and kauri inner
Trent

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:19 pm

I'm actually in the process of making a long video about this process. There are many benefits, approaches and options. The video should be for sale in the new year. I've been building guitars with laminated sides for years.

KreherGuitars
Beefwood

Post by KreherGuitars » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:17 am

But is one better? The beefy laminated sides or the ultra beefy composite sides?

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:49 am

I would refer to Trevor Gore and Gerard Gilet in the books...there is a distinct advantage in solid sides unless you are buiding Flamenco style where side leakage adds to percussiveness, Solid sides of any kind allow for the soundboard area to increase as available to modes t1,1 2,2 etc. no side lossand extra bass along with volume and projection. Experiment ! Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"