Moving Equipment

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Lillian
Blackwood

Moving Equipment

Post by Lillian » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:53 am

Good morning all. Moving day is almost upon us. Since we moving about 26500 km, I'm letting the burly blokes with the big truck do this for me. So I was wonder if I should prep the sander some how for the move. I was thinking of putting a piece of the white kinda squishy foam between the table and the drum. I have one piece left, but the missus wants it for something else. Should I claim it for the sander or will it travel okay without it?

seeaxe
Blackwood

Re: Moving Equipment

Post by seeaxe » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:57 am

I hope you aren't paying your trucker by the kilometer :) Possibly an extra zero there.

I would think its fine but as the feed rollers are sprung it should be ok to just wind it down onto a scrap of wood.

Good luck with the move!!
Richard

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:17 am

Thanks, I'll try to box it up, wrap it up so that the moving gorillas don't break it.

Well looking at the quote, I'd say we're paying by the meter and the oz. :shock: It's cheaper for me to sell off the drill press and lathe than it is to move it. I'll save money buying new when I get down there.
I'll probably have to put some of my wood and equipment into storage up here and justify the round trips with getting to see the youngest.

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:31 am

I remember when I bought my Jet sander (which I think is the equivalent machine) it came with two blocks of wood as spacers which I carefully stored. But of course I can't now for the life of me remember where they were used!

I would just add that if the people you are employing are ordinary furniture removers you probably need to keep a close eye when moving machinery since that is not their skill set.

If it was me, since that machine has such a heavy motor which makes it rather unbalanced I would consider separating the motor, making two much lighter units with less chance of damage. It is quite easily done.

Good luck Dave M
------------------
Dave

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:22 am

Good call Dave. I'll separate the motor tomorrow and secure it to the base. I decided not to trust the movers with certain things, the drum sander being one of them. All the tone wood. The lumber stash. Yeah, I'll be renting a small cargo truck and filling it up with the delicate stuff. Not that I really want to make that drive a couple of extra times, but...

TallDad71
Blackwood

Post by TallDad71 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:00 am

IF you are moving 26,500km I'd suggest you go around the world the other way, it'll only be 13,500km, half the price!

I'd also suggest using the drum sander as a bobbin sander with some big bits of softwood. Put them in place under the drum, hold them steady and then bring the drum down on them. Turn the machine off and bring the drum down snuggly on them. That will save any jigging about in one direction and hopefully save you a job recalibrating the drum on arrival.
Alan
Peregrine Guitars