Side sanding dish motor & side bender??

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

davidafterwork
Sassafras

Side sanding dish motor & side bender??

Post by davidafterwork » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:42 pm

Hello
I am trying to up my game as an amateur guitar maker and would like a motorised sanding dish ( I have the dish already) and also a reasonably priced side bending jig that would also help me bend my own wood bindings ( I have a heat blanket and made my own side mould for bending which works but it would not be great for binding ...)
All ideas welcome!
Dave

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Side sanding dish motor & side bender??

Post by Allen » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:12 am

I got a used potters wheel on local buy and sell that I converted into my motorised sanding station. I'd never go without it.

I hand bend all sides and bindings on a iron and then set the shape on a solid form with heat blanket. You don't have to get them exact when hand bending. The final set of shape on the form does that. Works a treat with cranky timber and tight bends on the shape like my ukes have.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:38 am

Try bending the bindings as a side then use a block of wood, held with double sided tape to your bandsaw, with the top of the block of wood rounded over and the blade cut into the block for supporting the curved liners, then slice them off. I have attached a high fence made from 1/4 inch steel plate to my bandsaw as a guide for this kind of work. I then use a long low angle plane to true the liners up on the workbench. The block of wood is about 100mm high and supports the curved side nicely. Cheers! Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

davidafterwork
Sassafras

Post by davidafterwork » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:51 am

That’s a great idea. If you have a pic of any of the ideas please send! Sanding the rims can be hard going I find and also my side bending could do with a bit more accuracy. I have the sides in the mould and dish underneath when sanding but I see a lot of people have the dish on top and a 25mm pipe attached to the base that the dish is turned on. I will switch to this method if I can’t get a motorised one.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:40 pm

I use a hand plane to get the sides pretty right, then finish with a sanding dish by hand. I first use a pencil in a block of wood, sit the guitar in the sanding dish, run the pencil around the outside of the sides, then plane to that line. Then I install the bindings, sit in the dish again and fine tune if necessary. After that plane to the line and dish sand. For my Selmer Maccaferri builds, I use a sanding Ipaddle with a block of wood sitting in the bridge area. For the sanding, 80 grit actually cuts pretty fast- Cheers! Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:30 pm

Some time back I did see one feller (I think on the OLF) who set up his radius dish on a lazy susan. He then either painted the radius dish edge with rubber paint or stretched a bike inner tube around it. I forget. Anyway, the lazy susan was mounted on a table next to the drill press and in the drill press was a rubber wheel which, on the lowest setting, drove the radius dish.

No pics I'm afraid, but hopefully you get the idea.

davidafterwork
Sassafras

Post by davidafterwork » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:46 pm

Thanks for the replies I will check out those ideas for sure
Dave