Number 2.- Tenor Uke

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob_H
Blackwood

Number 2.- Tenor Uke

Post by Bob_H » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:31 pm

My second uke - a 14 Fret Fan Tenor ukulele based on Hana Lima'ia plans. King Billy soundboard, Tiger Myrtle back and sides and bindings, minneritchi (acacia) fretboard, Queensland maple neck. Tru Oil finish.

Keeping on learning. I mucked up one fretboard (chipped while resizing marker holes) and one set of bindings (cut the initial channels much too shallow - nearly sanded through the bindings while levelling them with the sides). Also, my first attempt at French Polishing was a flop and had to be stripped off - went for something a bit simpler to apply in order to finish this build. Will be looking to get back on the FP horse again soon.

Hopefully my last kit build - next one is planned is a concert size ukulele where I will attempt my own joining and thicknessing of top and back, and side bending, cutting rosette channels, making a bridge and making the neck from scratch. Trying to pick up a couple of new techniques with each build.
IMG_1947.jpg
IMG_1946.jpg
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

seeaxe
Blackwood

Re: Number 2.- Tenor Uke

Post by seeaxe » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:39 am

That looks great. I started on kits too. If you are on your own i think its a good way to begin. Building from scratch isn't that much more difficult but you generally end up buying a lot more tools. Gives you much more freedom to experiment and opportunities for your personal creativity..imho.

There's a great pdf file tutorial on FP which i followed. I find FP way simpler easier and cheaper than anything else I've tried. Ill send it you if you're interested.
Richard

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:52 am

seeaxe wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:39 am
That looks great. I started on kits too. If you are on your own i think its a good way to begin. Building from scratch isn't that much more difficult but you generally end up buying a lot more tools. Gives you much more freedom to experiment and opportunities for your personal creativity..imho.

There's a great pdf file tutorial on FP which i followed. I find FP way simpler easier and cheaper than anything else I've tried. Ill send it you if you're interested.
Thanks - I agree on the question of tools! Side bending, routing, fretting are all great examples. I would appreciate the pdf on FP if you have it to hand
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:18 am

Nice, well done Bob. FB is a steep learning curve. Although once I understood you can quickly build a heavily and simply sand it flat, it became much easier.
Trent

stevemc32
Kauri

Post by stevemc32 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:10 pm

Looks great Bob, love the Tiger Myrtle!