Paint Booth

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

simso
Blackwood

Paint Booth

Post by simso » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:50 pm

Not sure what others do for controlling their paint.

I had a commercial paint booth, it just got decommisioned this week as it no longer complies with regulations, was unaware but now I need to do some interim stuff whilst waiitng for a new paint booth to be made

What do others do?

I do have an inflatable paint booth at home but it works on positive pressure not negative somay end up using it

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Paint Booth

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:43 pm

I French Polish....and I'm not even French :mrgreen:
Martin

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:53 am

I spray just outside my workshop door. No near neighbours to annoy. Lots of drawbacks like insects and high humidity. It goes straight into my RH controlled workshop so blooming hasn't been a problem. Then again I'm only an amateur with low production numbers.

Dave
------------------
Dave

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:50 pm

I wish I had access to a commercial paint booth! Particularly at this time of year, winter in NE Victorian mountains. I can see the snow on the mountains from my house! Spraying is best done at a higher temperature than 20 degrees Celsius, at low relative humidity with the instrument directly out of my dehumidified area in the workshop. I set the booth up outside.. I have been known to warm nitrocellulose lacquer in the spray gun by standing the bottom of the paint pot in warm water prior to spraying. But ambient air temperature will cool the vapour droplets, and the temperature of the surface being sprayed can also affect things along with the temperature of the atmosphere where the instrument is drying and off gassing between coats. I use a portable spray booth that I made, with spray booth filter fabric which I got from ebay China. I errect a screen of shadecloth for any airborn bugs and pollen from trees and stand between the shadecloth and the booth. With a negative air pressure in the portable booth which is generated by an old second hand childrens jump castle blower at the filter end of the booth and a cowl that is around the filter area connected to the intake of the jumping castle blower. The motor in the jumping castle along with the filters has not exploded from the nitro vapour yet!!!! I have bathroom heater lights on some cheap microphone stands inside the booth for heat on cold days, these lamps also serve to warm the instrument surface as well as the air passing through to maintain negative air pressure inside the booth. The whole arrangement is made from recycled craftwood or Bunnings offcuts that they sell cheap near the craftwood cutting saw. The booth is open at the spray gun end, which is upwind. On a warm day.
Such is my dedication!!! Necessity being the mother of invention. It's all quite quick to set up, really, and I tend to spray in batches. I also use an airbrush for small touch up repairs.

Ha ha! Cheers Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:49 pm

Thats dedication Ross.

Even commercial paint booths spray cold in winter. I was able to go into my paint booth and be nice and warm, the second you turn the extraction fans on to paint, the doors are forced closed from the vacuum and all the outside cold air is drawn in.

Have spoken with car painters and they have the same issue, when its cold its just cold end of story, however, getting the heaters on after the spraying is the important thing in really cold weather and thats why expensive paint booths are fitted out with heaters as well to bake the paint dry, minimises dust uptake in the finish.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html