3D printing and bronze casting

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

3D printing and bronze casting

Post by graham mcdonald » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:29 pm

I am investigating making a small run of cast bronze mandolin tailpieces for a mandolin quartet building project. I am thinking that a 3D printed prototype might be used for the casting mould. I know little about 3D printing and less about casting bronze, so all suggestions welcomed. An alternative might be getting someone to CNC machine the tailpieces out of brass sheet. Either approach will doubtless involve some kind of 3D graphics file to tell the printer or the CNC machine what to do and while I have done a little doodling with 2D design software, 3D seems rather more complicated. Again all suggestions welcomed. The idea is that the tailpiece will be flat and hang off a bolt vertically inserted into the tailblock. The first prototype uses a 10mm barrel nut fitted into the tailblock from the back and an M6 bolt through the soundboard. That seems to work OK but my attempts at cutting out a flat tailpiece from 1/16" brass sheet is not pretty. Metalwork is not an activity I enjoy very much. :x

Thanks
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

Semmens Guitars
Sassafras

Re: 3D printing and bronze casting

Post by Semmens Guitars » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:17 pm

Hi Graham,
Send me a drawing with measurements and if is not to hard I will draw up a 3D image and send it through to you.

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:30 am

Thank you. I will draw it up this afternoon.
Graham
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:00 pm

You Tube lost wax casting methods. Cheers! Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

nicco
Sassafras

Post by nicco » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:55 pm

Not the same, but similar; I've sand cast a sterling silver pendant in much the same as the method you're wanting; i sketched it, converted that to a 3d file in fusion 360, cut the design out of lino (like kids carving and printing lino) with a small cnc router, then made a sand mould from that. You can buy sterling silver casting grain pretty cheaply, and just used an Amazon hand held crucible and a bunnings mapp gas torch to melt the silver.

With sand moulding you can't have any overhangs on your part (well, not without getting really tricky anyway) and the part works better if it's reasonably consistent thickness.

I'm a hell of a long way from an expert on this stuff, just playing around with it, but happy to help with tips. I failed a hell of a lot of times before getting my final cast product. Ha ha.
Attachments
20190712_201205-01.jpeg
Silver piece
20190706_101552-02.jpeg
Sand mould
20190706_100008-01.jpeg
Lino master