Hello there

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

jasonmc
Gidgee

Hello there

Post by jasonmc » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:08 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Jason and I am new to your forum. I have been harbouring aspirations of building my own guitar since stumbling across the ever so polite Ben from Crimson Guitars on YouTube.

Thanks to a stretch of pandemic isolation from my family at the start of the year, I took the opportunity to finally pick up a guitar (Samick Greg Bennett Malibu, if you must know). I started learning from another polite chap named Justin, of Justinguitar.com and I am now able to make some not-unpleasant sounds that can actually be identified as parts of actual songs.

Operating on the idea of "Buy one, build one, make one" I started building a second guitar, starting with the body of an Ibanez Gio GRG170DX. That build is progressing well, but I have struck problems with the neck - which I will be asking you for advice on later.

Of course you all know what happened next... I bought another one. Too good to pass up, it was barely out of my way going home and I had the cash in my pocket (Rare, believe you me!)

Buy one, build two...

Build number two is one of those projects that someone had intended to finish one day, but never gotten around to doing. It's an LP kit which has been partially finished and the neck glued in. I'll be asking some questions of you about that one, too.
It's sitting under my bed until I get the Gio going.

Anyway, that's about the size of it for now. Thanks for adding me to your forum!
20200626_210346.jpg
The three amigos

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Hello there

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:34 am

Welcome to the forum Jason and thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. Pics of your builds as they progress are always welcome.
Martin