Song of the Kauri

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Song of the Kauri

Post by blackalex1952 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:20 pm

I never thought of researching this film but have at last done so and ordered a copy for myself..a must see for Aus and NZ luthiers. I first viewed it at the Luthiers convention where it was shown at the Abbotsford convent in Melbourne...buy the film and support all those people who had the vision to think that way and produce a remarkable document on film media.
Here is a link to the movie (posting for a friend :mrgreen: http://www.songofthekauri.com/)
Cheers! Ross
PS: just watch the documentary and learn folks!!!! And the question in my mind is, who has tested Kauri from NZ, compared to Aus Kauri and Bunya Pine? Please comment if you have found excellent samples of each and achieved good results in an instrument or three, or more!!!! What other species are useful in Australia given the increasing rarity and costs these days of high quality tonewood!
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

sleake
Myrtle

Re: Song of the Kauri

Post by sleake » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:41 pm

I'll add my praise for Molgat. He was incredibly transformative to the mountain sports in NZ before turning his hand to instruments. His film the leading edge is just an absolute classic with some really incredible skiing and climbing.

If mountains are your thing, well worth a watch. This film led me to pack my bags and live as a climbing and skiing bum at Mount Cook for a few years, had the time of my life!

https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/the-leading-edge-1987

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:44 pm

I hope your apres ski was playing the guitar!!!!-Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:12 pm

Well that was great Sunday morning viewing. Thanks for that link Ross!
Trent