New Luthier Tips du Jour video - Safe-T-planer

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

New Luthier Tips du Jour video - Safe-T-planer

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:55 am

My latest Luthier Tips du Jour video is now on Youtube. This one is about using the Safe-T-Planer to thickness bakcs and sides.

Enjoy!

Click here to see the Safe-T Planer video
www.obrienguitars.com

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:14 am

I got a messed up link Robbie! Here's a new one.

youtu.be/

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:30 am

Don't know how that happened but thanks for fixing it Bob.
www.obrienguitars.com

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:26 am

Excellent Robbie, thanks,

Sebastiaan
make mine fifths........

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:11 am

I've got one of them, but struggled to get it to work. Now I know why. Thanks Robbie.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:58 am

Great Allen!! This little tool is like a computer. When it is set up right it is a real time saver and joy to work with. On the other hand... well, let's not go there!! :lol:
www.obrienguitars.com

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:59 am

If anyone is benefitting from these Luthier Tips du Jour clips, feel free to post a comment on Youtube about the video.
www.obrienguitars.com

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:48 pm

Thanks Robbie
I have been enjoying your DVD and all of these videos on the forum. I use the Safe-T-planer and have some of my own tricks. You have taught me some new ones - especially about the sharpening. I have used it to thickness wider plates, such as an already jointed top. You can't do that with a drill press because the stand gets in the way. I have attached a hand-held power drill to a beam which is suspended horizontally above, and parallel to, my bench top (or better, a table in the middle of the workshop so that I can work from both sides). With the Safe-T-Planer in the chuck and set to thickness you can pass wide sheets through and do multiple passes, like mowing a lawn.

I have a quick method for setting approximate thickness. I have a set of shims made from pieces of scrap, each the size of a playing card, cut to varying thicknesses from 1.5 to 5mm. If I want a 3mm cut I loosen the chuck, put the "3mm shim" between the Safe-T-Planer and the table surface, push the planer head down snug and then tighten the chuck. Slide the shim out and you are ready to go. Importantly, the resulting cut is not exactly the same thickness as the shim, it is a bit thinner. My shim that produces a 3mm cut is actually about 3.3mm.

thanks for all of the great teaching you do

mm

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:18 pm

Mark McLean wrote:Thanks Robbie
I have been enjoying your DVD and all of these videos on the forum. I use the Safe-T-planer and have some of my own tricks. You have taught me some new ones - especially about the sharpening. I have used it to thickness wider plates, such as an already jointed top. You can't do that with a drill press because the stand gets in the way. I have attached a hand-held power drill to a beam which is suspended horizontally above, and parallel to, my bench top (or better, a table in the middle of the workshop so that I can work from both sides). With the Safe-T-Planer in the chuck and set to thickness you can pass wide sheets through and do multiple passes, like mowing a lawn.

I have a quick method for setting approximate thickness. I have a set of shims made from pieces of scrap, each the size of a playing card, cut to varying thicknesses from 1.5 to 5mm. If I want a 3mm cut I loosen the chuck, put the "3mm shim" between the Safe-T-Planer and the table surface, push the planer head down snug and then tighten the chuck. Slide the shim out and you are ready to go. Importantly, the resulting cut is not exactly the same thickness as the shim, it is a bit thinner. My shim that produces a 3mm cut is actually about 3.3mm.

thanks for all of the great teaching you do

mm
Hi Mark,

Cut this beginner stuff mate, thats bloody marvelous, I would dearly love to see some pictures of your setup. How about some photos or a tute in another thread so we dont hijack Robbie's excellent work, I just scored this washing machine motor........

Sebastiaan
make mine fifths........

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:38 pm

Really cool Mark!
Since I put out this video I have gotten all kinds of emails with pics of elaborate set ups for using the safe-t-planer. Many of them include bearings or other devices to hold down the wood on the table as you send it through the tool. Some include dust collector attachments and a few are used in a radial arm type saw that allows you to thickness plates that have already been joined. Some even have elaborate jigs for holding the cutter heads while sharpening.
This exchange of information is great and we all stand to benefit. Hoepfully there is enough info out there now that one will feel comfortable setting up and using this tool.

BTW, Most of my youtube video hits come from Australia! The USA is number two. Congratulations to the folks from down under.
www.obrienguitars.com

Hippety Hop
Blackwood

Post by Hippety Hop » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:08 pm

Hey Robbie, thanks for this tutorial. I've done some ebony and rosewood thicknessing with mine, and now I'll feel confident about sharpening the blades.

Also thanks to Mark for the shim idea. My drill press is a cheapie off ebay.

Cheers.