Red Spruce

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

xray
Blackwood

Red Spruce

Post by xray » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi all,
Just want to pick your brains and steal some sources from you guys because i fell that the red spruce available from aus luthier supplies or ALS is a bit on the pricey side. would this be a correct assumption or am i just being a tight arse?

I am keen to get a couple of sets of master grade red spruce but seeing as i havn't dealt with it i dont know if there is a better source. Any ideas would be great and i would be interested to see where you guys get your red from and the cost involved. i understand that colonial tonewoods is a source, what are the prices like and how is he to deal with.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:05 pm

You won't find a better or fairer bloke to deal with than Steve Roberson at Colonial Andy

However if you want master grade Red Spruce you'd better have deep pockets. It can sell for anywhere between $200-400USD.

Quite a few of us here have AA Red Spruce from Steve which I think we paid about $45 a set for.

Some of it is quite wide grained and has pronounced grain lines, but it is very stiff along the grain and has very little run-out which, to me, is more important than what it looks like.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:03 pm

From a stateside perspective Adi or red spruce is the most expensive tonewood for tops that we can purchase. Bob is very correct, $200 - $400 for master grade.

Mind you "master grade" is only a cosmetic designation and has nothing to do with the suitability as tonewood per say.

Steve (Colonial Tonewoods) is a great guy and he has always sent me superb wood.

Be sure to remember to get some Adi brace wood too to compliment your Adi top(s).

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:09 am

There aint much red spruce left, at least on private lands. It's pretty expensive and the mechanical properties are the best of all the tonewoods, strength/weight.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:32 am

I'm hoarding my stash. :D

Next time there's a group buy, I'm going to be getting some more. These AA tops are only going to be worth more down the road. And I like the wide grain and stripes. Heaps more character.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

xray
Blackwood

group buy spruce?

Post by xray » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:06 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.
Just to provoke some thought and maybe start the ball rolling, how much did the AA red spruce turn out after the group buy, and how many sets were ordered? geeez too many questions there sorry boys!
To the real point i would love to aquire a few sets im not sure of who else would be keen but i have never owned a credit card so im no good for the buying of more than a few sets. if anyone is interested maybe we can work out the postage difference. let me know

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:23 am

During a Q&A session on choosing tonewoods at the Playmakers event in Albany earlier this year Paul Duff (who carves blocks of Red Spruce for his mandolins) and luthier Scott Wise BOTH recommended going for AA grade for tonal & aesthetic qualities.
Cheers, John
John M

TimS
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by TimS » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:02 am

Hi Xray,

I have about 60 sets of Red spruce in stock from 2A to Master if you need anything.

regards

Tim
[url]http://www.australiantonewoods.com[/url]

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:40 am

Didnt know you had that many in stock Tim....Ill take 10 sets thanks. See PM.

Cheers Martin