New Tele Build

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

asgilbert
Blackwood

New Tele Build

Post by asgilbert » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:35 pm

Hi all,

I have built a couple of Acoustic guitars and am going to try my hand at an electric. I have a great piece of Mahogany for a Tele but its about 40mm too narrow for the build. I have seen guitars built with laminated bodies and wonder what I could use to do the same. I might be over thinking this... but at a guess like metals, different woods would react differently to temperature and a lesser degree (Given the body is painted) humidity. Any suggestions please? If aesthetically pleasing I will just put clear two pack and if not then paint!!

Thanks
Andrew

RodC
Myrtle

Re: New Tele Build

Post by RodC » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:00 pm

Is it possible to use the off cuts from the waist?
If you are only talking 40mm overall, then you should have at least 20mm from the top and bottom (if you cut it out with a band saw) that should be usable.

Just an idea.

asgilbert
Blackwood

Post by asgilbert » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:19 pm

Thanks, I did give it some thought, but then would have to paint. It is such a nice piece of Mahogany that it would be a shame to cover it with paint.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:39 am

Why does it have to be a tele shape? The great thing about building your own guitar is that you can make one that doesn’t look like all of the other one that come from a factory production line. How about you design a different shape that fits your nice piece of wood?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:04 am

asgilbert wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:35 pm
I might be over thinking this... but at a guess like metals, different woods would react differently to temperature and a lesser degree (Given the body is painted) humidity.
Wood is porous while metal isn't. Thermal conductivity is also very different for the two materials....it's the reason the new house Im building has wooden framing and as little steel in it as possible. Humidity is the major player in wood stability.
Martin

asgilbert
Blackwood

Post by asgilbert » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:27 am

Guess its easier to do the first of a plan, hence the choice of a Tele.

If it's humidity that will make the greatest difference then I guess will find a piece that matches best aesthetically.

Thanks
Andrew

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:18 pm

I've built 4 Thinline Teles and also a Tele bass.
Two have mahogany body cores, 6mm capped front and back with different woods;
One has macassar ebony front and back, the other has a harlequin front and sheoak back.
I know I have used the waist offcuts to widen the body of a couple of guitars, but can't remember which ones, maybe the macassar. I'm all for it. And the simplicity of Teles lends itself to just about anything.
No issues with humidity (so far) for me here in Perth and I'm on build 17 (archtop) now.
Please post pics and details of your progress.
Ken

asgilbert
Blackwood

Post by asgilbert » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:26 am

Hey Ken,
Thanks for that. Maurice in Albany used the piece from the waist and glued it on the large bout and it came up a beauty. I will do the same. Just finishing of a couple of acoustics and will then make a start on the Tele!
Wow Archtops - any pics you can share?
I'm in Perth, should organise a get together post Covid!!
Andrew

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:05 pm

Hi Andrew,
Yes, happy to meet up post corona. I'm in Swan View.
Her's my two archtops. They are both the same dimensions (16 1/4" body, 25" scale) but different woods and pickups;
The sunburst one is spruce top on sheoak back & sides, maple/sheoak/maple neck with flame jarrah fretboard, Seymour Duncan pickups.
The blue one is all maple, with flame jarrah fretboard, Gibson mini humbuckers.
I have a smaller body under construction but won't get back to it for a while having just moved into a very run-down home which I'm working on frenetically while 'social isolating'.
Cheers.
Attachments
IMG_6372.jpg
IMG_6372.jpg (431.12 KiB) Viewed 9245 times
IMG_6385.jpg
IMG_6385.jpg (360.81 KiB) Viewed 9245 times
Ken

asgilbert
Blackwood

Post by asgilbert » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:35 am

Wow they look great! :cl
Look forward to catching up. Im in Sorrento.