Re Coating Danish Oil too Quickly.....Problems??

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

bassvader
Gidgee

Re Coating Danish Oil too Quickly.....Problems??

Post by bassvader » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:27 pm

Hi to all the finishing experts out there! a little help please....
I am building a couple of solid body electric bass guitars and am finishing them using Organ Oil Danish Oil. I started applying today but I completely misinterpreted an application article regarding coating and recoating. Basically I have ended up applying three coats within a 4 hour period. I wiped each application off with about 15min. So I have realised my error in doing the recoating to quickly.

Will there be any issues with what I have done? or is it just a matter of waiting for an extended period to let the total coats applied cure fully?

Appreciate any feedback.
Regards
Sam

demonx
Blackwood

Re: Re Coating Danish Oil too Quickly.....Problems??

Post by demonx » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:36 am

Danish oil is fairly forgiving, so unless you’re seeing any kind of issues I really wouldn’t worry.

When I went through a phase of danish oil finishes I think I used to do a few coats, let them cure for a day or so, do a fine sand and then recoat, let it cure again and then give it a light buff.

bassvader
Gidgee

Post by bassvader » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:35 pm

demonx wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:36 am
Danish oil is fairly forgiving, so unless you’re seeing any kind of issues I really wouldn’t worry.

When I went through a phase of danish oil finishes I think I used to do a few coats, let them cure for a day or so, do a fine sand and then recoat, let it cure again and then give it a light buff.
Thanks Allan,
Much Appreciated!!
Sam

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:22 am

Hi Sam
That should be fine. Just give it a bit of curing time. There are lots of different formulations that call themselves "Danish". Not all the same. I have used that Organoil stuff for a few necks and it cured into a very durable and hard finish. I really like it. A very experienced luthier once told me that Organoil brand could be "a bit soft" and that other brands like Cabots or Watco are more suitable. The Organoil one contains a fair bit of tung oil (that distinctive fruity smell), compared with other oils (?boiled linseed) that predominate in some other brands. I promptly ignored that advice and used Organoil because it is what I had available. It worked out great and is now my preferred neck finish. It would also work well for bodies - and like Allen said, is very user-friendly and forgiving, plus cheap and non-toxic.

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Tue May 26, 2020 12:34 pm

I've been using Danish Oil on my necks for a while now.

I'd just give each body another coat and burnish it with 400 grit wet & dry, then wipe off & leave it to dry.
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed