Double V Neck Acoustic

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Post Reply
Semmens Guitars
Beefwood
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by Semmens Guitars » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:38 am

]Hi guys and gals....

I have been asked to build this guitar for a client. Has anyone been mad enough to build something like this? It is for a guy that can play both left and right handed. Just for reference the guitar has been named the 'double yolker'.

Can't load a pic for some reason :x

seeaxe
Blackwood
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Auckland NZ

Re: Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by seeaxe » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:03 pm

Sounds like a challenge. I think you have to have maybe 5 posts before you can load pictures. Keep chatting and you will be there soon.
Richard

User avatar
kiwigeo
Admin
Posts: 9953
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: Adelaide, Sth Australia

Re: Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:16 pm

As far as I know you can post pics regardless of number of posts. What error message are you getting?
Martin

Semmens Guitars
Beefwood
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by Semmens Guitars » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:18 am

kiwigeo wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:16 pm
As far as I know you can post pics regardless of number of posts. What error message are you getting?
Error msg was can't verify the dimensions of the photo. It is a jpeg and about 3Mb.

Semmens Guitars
Beefwood
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by Semmens Guitars » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:37 pm

thumbnail_IMG_20200410_105719.jpg

User avatar
kiwigeo
Admin
Posts: 9953
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: Adelaide, Sth Australia

Re: Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:43 pm

Looks like you got things working
Martin

Semmens Guitars
Beefwood
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by Semmens Guitars » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:38 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:43 pm
Looks like you got things working
yeah just my phone not wanting to play nice..!

mjc
Wandoo
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:08 pm

Re: Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by mjc » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:46 pm

seems like it could be a little uncomfortable to play both left and right handed.. interesting though, keep us posted

Semmens Guitars
Beefwood
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by Semmens Guitars » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:22 pm

mjc wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:46 pm
seems like it could be a little uncomfortable to play both left and right handed.. interesting though, keep us posted
I imagine it could only be played standing up!!

blackalex1952
Blackwood
Posts: 749
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:36 pm
Location: North East Victoria

Re: Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by blackalex1952 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:40 am

I suggest that the client grows a matching moustache!
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

Semmens Guitars
Beefwood
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by Semmens Guitars » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:17 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:40 am
I suggest that the client grows a matching moustache!
Only in Movember!

Semmens Guitars
Beefwood
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by Semmens Guitars » Sat May 16, 2020 2:49 pm

well things have moved forward on this crazy build here are some pics for your viewing pleasure!!
thumbnail_20200428_144504.jpg
back braces carved
thumbnail_20200501_184214.jpeg
Ready for glue up
thumbnail_20200505_145446.jpeg
Gluing some black veneer to the side offcuts for bindings
thumbnail_20200505_111137.jpg
Boxed Up

User avatar
TallDad71
Blackwood
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:20 am
Contact:

Re: Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by TallDad71 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:40 am

Great work, truly good stuff.

I can’t wait to hear a review of how it sounds. I’m a little puzzled by the joining of the two soundboards along that straight line and how they might vibrate as a single plate.
Alan

Semmens Guitars
Beefwood
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by Semmens Guitars » Sun May 17, 2020 8:45 am

TallDad71 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:40 am
Great work, truly good stuff.

I can’t wait to hear a review of how it sounds. I’m a little puzzled by the joining of the two soundboards along that straight line and how they might vibrate as a single plate.
I completely agree. I explained to the customer that this would be an experimental guitar and normally I would guarantee an amazing sounding guitar but wth this baby....it will be able to be played right and left handed. The sound will be yet to be determined!!! It's more show I think. Both guitars will get a pickup in them for stage work.

Semmens Guitars
Beefwood
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by Semmens Guitars » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:59 pm

The Necks and bindings are now on!!!
73224771_10156930482867691_3601811500552811490_n.jpg

User avatar
kiwigeo
Admin
Posts: 9953
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: Adelaide, Sth Australia

Re: Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:25 am

Thanks for the update pics of the build.

How the guitar will sound will be interesting but looking at that massive bridge plate and the low area of unbraced or lightly braced lower bout I wouldn't expect a lot of volume. Main top frequency may also be off optimal value(s).

Lets see how she sounds once she's finished.
TallDad71 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:40 am
Great work, truly good stuff.

I can’t wait to hear a review of how it sounds. I’m a little puzzled by the joining of the two soundboards along that straight line and how they might vibrate as a single plate.
Martin

Semmens Guitars
Beefwood
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by Semmens Guitars » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:27 am

kiwigeo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:25 am
Thanks for the update pics of the build.

How the guitar will sound will be interesting but looking at that massive bridge plate and the low area of unbraced or lightly braced lower bout I wouldn't expect a lot of volume. Main top frequency may also be off optimal value(s).

Lets see how she sounds once she's finished.
TallDad71 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:40 am
Great work, truly good stuff.

I can’t wait to hear a review of how it sounds. I’m a little puzzled by the joining of the two soundboards along that straight line and how they might vibrate as a single plate.
The Air frequency is sitting a little higher than normal due to the 2 sound holes but the top and back are Ok relative to the top. It actually has a very loud tap tone giving it a whack with the thumb technique :D.

User avatar
kiwigeo
Admin
Posts: 9953
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: Adelaide, Sth Australia

Re: Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:04 pm

A thought.......the two necks I assume will be in the same tuning? If so I would expect the strings on the unplayed neck to resonate with the strings on the played neck.....that should be interesting :)
Martin

Semmens Guitars
Beefwood
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Double V Neck Acoustic

Post by Semmens Guitars » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:33 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:04 pm
A thought.......the two necks I assume will be in the same tuning? If so I would expect the strings on the unplayed neck to resonate with the strings on the played neck.....that should be interesting :)
The owner will have to sort that one out. I'd assume they would be tuned the same but one could tune the other neck to an open tuning and use it as sympathetic strings like a sitar. So many options!! :lol:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests