Experience with Southern Blue Gum

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

terence
Gidgee

Experience with Southern Blue Gum

Post by terence » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:37 am

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Southern Blue Gum (Eucalyptus Globulus) as back and sides?

I couldn't find it in the tonewoods section so thought I would ask on here.

Terence

Semmens Guitars
Sassafras

Re: Experience with Southern Blue Gum

Post by Semmens Guitars » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:47 pm

I haven't used blue gum but I have have used Red Gum for 3 guitars with great success. It bent ok I had the heat at about 220 degrees C though to get to it moving.

Chalks
Myrtle

Post by Chalks » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:13 am

Hey guys. Long time between visit. I'll try harder.

Terrence, I haven't either but I am real interested to hear from the collective Brains Trust here. I picked up a piece of 2x2 garden steak at Bunnings. I liked the look of it and thought it might make a nice headplate. It clinked like a piece of glass. Thought to myself, "Well self, that was a surprise."

Greg

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:48 am

Southern Blue Gum is a very dense Aussie hardwood and lasts well for fenceposts, so it's pretty rot resistant. It moves quite a bit when drying but seems stable once dried. I would suggest using only quarter sawn for back and sides. Being quite heavy, my feeling is to thin it more than most back and side timbers. It is a little too heavy for necks. I have no experience as a back and side material, but I am curious to know how stable it is when used for B&S over a period of time post construction. I has good resonance properties and holds screws well...I have used it for my stomp boxes which I make and sell...one client sent me a photo of one that I made with a glass of wine, a cheese knife and a lump of blue vein sitting on top of it...cheers! Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"