Somogyi bridge

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave M
Blackwood

Somogyi bridge

Post by Dave M » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:05 am

I was listening to Michael Chapdelaine playing a Somogyi guitar (which sounded great) and I noticed the little tails that he puts on the back of his bridges. I think they look great aesthetically.

It may be a bit fanciful but I wondered if perhaps they had a function in terms of reducing the stress on the glue line at the back of the bridge...?

If someone with a better understanding of the engineering of this structure would like to comment I would love to hear.
------------------
Dave

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: Somogyi bridge

Post by Mark McLean » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:21 am

Hi Dave. I have noticed them too, and James Olson guitars have a similar bridge shape ( not quite as pointed). I had assumed it was just Ervin’s visual signature. He does pointy things on the headstock too. I can’t think of a physical reason why a wavy line on the back of the bridge wound give better adhesion than the same surface area with a smooth edge. But I am no expert in the physics. Does anyone have Somogyi’s book? Maybe he explains himself there. It doesn’t get a mention in his GAL lecture.

yakka
Myrtle

Post by yakka » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:01 pm

https://esomogyi.com/pricing/ for this much you can have all the pointy bits you want

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:53 pm

Yes, I had noticed that too. And just for the sake of any potential customers - I am happy to offer a custom made guitar, with pointy bits if desired, at about a 90% discount against Mr Somogyi’s prices. But I will admit that my guitars are probably only 10% as good. Good luck to him.

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:37 am

Well yes I think we have to accept that Mr Somogyi doesn't operate in the same market as the rest of us but has entered the collectables realm. Price is no longer tied to functionality.

I do like the look of that bridge and it may also help in removing mass.
------------------
Dave

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:23 pm

I bought Mr S's books but only had a quick skim through same before "The Books" came out. My working copies of G and G are well worn while Mr S's books are still sitting in their slip case on the shelf.
Martin