Shipping to theUSA

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

rocket
Blackwood

Shipping to theUSA

Post by rocket » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:34 pm

Iv'e looked at some of the posts regarding overseas shipping and it looks like Pack Send is the preferred option, i'm just wondering if there's any other Govt fees or charges to be aware of, is the a value ceiling before they kick in? Thanks for any help!

Cheers

Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Re: Shipping to theUSA

Post by peter.coombe » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:20 am

I send using express post, but a mandolin will fit into the max size requirements of Australia Post. Most guitar cases are too big.

There are no Australian government charges, but there are value ceilings in Australia and the USA. In Australia if it is worth more than $2000 AUD you need to get an export clearance number before you sent it. That requires a 10 point ID check, and unless you live in a remote area you need to front up at a customs office to get it. In the USA if it is worth more than $2000 USD then you need to get the US customer to fill out and lodge a Lacey Act form for the wood. You need to supply the species name, the weight and what part it is for every wood species on the item. If the item has shell inlay then the US customer has to get an import license before you send it. That can take a few weeks and will cost around $100 USD. The US customer also needs to fill out and lodge a USFW form listing the species of shell (and bone) and the country of origin.

If the item is worth less than $2000 AUD then no problem. I recently sent a flattop mandolin to the USA worth $1900 AUD and it sailed right through Aussie and USA customs no issues. I made it specifically to try and tempt potential US customers with no paperwork or fees and it worked. More than that and it becomes a pain, especially if it has shell.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:59 pm

Hmmm thanks for that Peter, i could consider putting the right price on the paperwork but if the instrument does have shell on it, it does sound very difficult..

Cheers

Rod.

www.octiganguitars.com

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:52 am

Arrived in Alabama and took 4 days and no problems.
Thanks for your help Peter

Cheers

Rod
Attachments
B0373D26-C19D-4CE7-B31D-57654D1E1566.jpeg

www.octiganguitars.com