Stop Loss bags

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

matthew
Blackwood

Stop Loss bags

Post by matthew » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:08 pm

Just came across this product to stop oxidation and skinning if finished. Looks a terrific idea.
Anyone else using it?
20954C4D-6E32-4702-AFA1-16A44BB6A263.jpeg

Dave M
Blackwood

Re: Stop Loss bags

Post by Dave M » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:02 am

These look good. Just done a quick search and they seem have limited availability in the UK. Only one supplier who is charging about £50 for 4. I wonder if anyone else has bought in the UK?

Did you pay a lot Mathew?

Dave M
------------------
Dave

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:35 am

I bought them direct from the states and they were shipped to me in oz. Didn’t seem too expensive. Lot 50 pounds for four seems a lot

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:57 am

Carbatec list a few stop loss bag accessories but not the actual bags. https://www.carbatec.com.au/stop-loss-bags-funnels
Martin

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:41 am

They look like the drip bags when I’m hospital. Maybe you can get enough cheaper via a medical supply place :P

I mean that is where we get number 11 scalpels
Trent

mooshalah
Myrtle

Post by mooshalah » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:33 am

With respect to "drip bags" in hospital; these are invariably made from PVC (polyvinyl chloride) - although the use of this material is slowly declining.

PVC is very permeable to gasses like oxygen (20% of the air we breathe), which is precisely what one is trying to keep away from the liquids used in wood finishing that are oxidised and / or polymerised on prolonged or repeated exposure to air.

I've not seen a StopLoss bag, but I imagine that the're made of one (or more) of the many dozens of polymeric materials that are ubiquitous in places like supermarkets, where everything from meats to muesli bars, peanuts to pea-soup, are packed into laminated, multi-layered plastic pouches to prevent them "going off" (meat), rancid (peanuts) or soft (pistachios).

Frank.