Changes to Reg of International Trade in CITES

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Changes to Reg of International Trade in CITES

Post by WJ Guitars » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:44 pm

I was looking at 'StewMac' Rosewood timber Back & Sides Sets today and noticed that no warning came up regarding exporting it to Australia. I Googled to find out more and from the 26th November 2019, you no longer need CITES permits to import or export rosewood, refer to link.

https://www.environment.gov.au/biodiver ... sheet-2019
Download: Changes to regulation of international trade in CITES timber species (PDF - 218.16 KB

I do recall that changes were coming and to see this news now is good for Guitar Builders!

Wayne
https://wjguitars.wixsite.com/mysite-1

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Re: Changes to Reg of International Trade in CITES

Post by blackalex1952 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:24 pm

Common sense at last! It seems a little rare these days! Or am I just getting old and cranky?..no need to answer that, I have three daughters who have a few opinions! Cheers, Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

rangerdave1
Wandoo

Post by rangerdave1 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:09 am

Looks like it only applies to the following though:

•finished musical instruments, finished musical instrument parts and finished musical instruments accessories (see definitions below); and
•finished products to a maximum of 10kg of rosewood per shipment.

Would a set of back and sides fit in the category of a "finished product"??

Here are their definitions:

Definitions

Finished musical instruments

A musical instrument1 that is ready to play or needs only the installation of parts to make it playable (includes antique instruments).

Finished musical instrument accessories

A musical instrument accessory2 that is separate from the musical instrument, and is specifically designed or shaped to be used explicitly in association with an instrument, and that requires no further modification to be used.

Finished musical instrument parts:

A part of a musical instrument3 that is ready to install and is specifically designed and shaped to be used explicitly in association with the instrument to make it playable.

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:53 am

When I looked at 'Stewmac's' website, 5th & 6th December 2019, their website did not display a restriction on exporting Rosewood Bridge blanks or Rosewood Back & Sides. On the 6th December 2019, I placed an order for some Rosewood Bridge Blanks. I received an email 6th December 2019, from 'Stewmac' stating that my order had been sent.

I also contacted 'LMI' to see whether they are now exporting Rosewood eg Back & Sides. They advised that because it is not a 'finished' item they would not be able to export it. They indicated that they were able to export finished bridge pins and similar products. They are still reviewing what they are now able to export.

Today (7/12/2019), I looked again at 'Stewmac's' website and noted that their export restrictions have now been returned again re: Rosewood items.

I will await to see if my Rosewood Bridge Blanks arrive or, will they be held up at 'Customs'. Maybe they will treat the bridge blanks as 'finished' formed items.

Wayne

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:23 am

I noticed that as well. Looks like some common sense has returned, but that common sense is somewhat limited!

Back and side sets - Nope
Bridge blanks - Nope
Fingerboard blanks - Nope

Bindings - yes
Bridges - yes
Slotted fingerboards - yes

Personally I am disappointed about back and side sets (but not surprised), but also pleased I can now get rosewood bindings again and can send mandolins to the USA with Rosewood bindings.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:03 am

I received my 10 Rosewood Bridge Blanks that I ordered with free shipping arrangements, 5th December 2019. from 'Stewmac'.

This order was made when 'Stewmac' removed their export restriction on rosewood items for a short period in early December 2019. 'Stewmac' has re-introduced the export ban again as some of their rosewood items must have been reviewed again as not being a 'Finished ' Rosewood items in accordance with the the International Trade in CITES. I very fortunate that my order got through!

Wayne
Attachments
rosewoodblank.JPG