How do I fix this wavy side..

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

rangerdave1
Wandoo

How do I fix this wavy side..

Post by rangerdave1 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:54 am

I bent some Cherry sides and got some waviness in the lower bout.. Any way to fix this? Happened both sides but only on the lower bout.

I am thinking of trying to flatten it with a flat iron using a round pipe to support the inside of the side.
Attachments
IMG_4998.JPG

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Re: How do I fix this wavy side..

Post by Crafty Fox » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:26 am

Would it be possible to scrape & sand them flat?
How thick were the sides? I do mine at around 2.5mm.
Ken

rangerdave1
Wandoo

Post by rangerdave1 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:37 am

I thought about that but I’m sitting at 2.2mm right now and the wave/ripple is about 0.3mm deep so if I scrape flush, I’ll be at 1.8mm or so. Not sure if that will be thick enough and don’t have any experience doing this, well other then one build... It’s a shallow body and only about 100mm deep so I might be able to get away with a thinner side because of the shallow depth. I could also add some ribs on the inside to give it some strength but wonder if its worth the risk. Especially since I’ve only just started this build.

RodC
Myrtle

Post by RodC » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:43 pm

One way I've seen it done is to put in support bracing where you need to sand things thinner.

Then you can sand down to 1.5 or so.

Caveat - I haven't done this myself, just talked to people who have.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:33 pm

If you flattened the side sufficiently but it ended up a bit too thin you could laminate another thin layer inside.

Cheers

Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:03 am

Scrape / sand and a few extra low & flat side braces is the way to go. If you end up at 1.8mm that's fine.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:58 am

You could just leave that alone and take care of it in the finishing stage. Apply a few coats of sealer and lacquer and then flat sand it

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

rangerdave1
Wandoo

Post by rangerdave1 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:39 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. I went ahead and glued the sides together, installed the neck and tail block and kerfing. I will scrape the worst out until i feel its getting too thin.

Dave

ospandrade
Gidgee

Post by ospandrade » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:16 am

Hello everyone!

I also had the same problem with the Brazilian rosewood sides. I believe that it was because I kept the sides for longer than necessary and I also should have wetted the sides abundantly, I should have just sprayed water with a fine, spreading spray.
I tried to correct it using the scraper, it improved a lot but it wasn't perfect due to the sides being 2mm thick and also the sinking was very significant. But structurally it didn’t compromise the structural integrity of the guitar, I put transversal reinforcements on the sides, this will further guarantee that there are no future problems, at least I hope so.
Thanks!

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:12 am

So how did it go? How did you treat it?

I think that we all get this at some point. I have done the reinforcement inside and lots of sanding externally. I have also just left them. It is a hand built instrument I would say!

What is perhaps a bit surprising is that these small blemishes don’t really malter too much so long as the instrument sounds and plays OK.

If people know it is not factory produced they will accept some minor imperfections.
------------------
Dave