mirotone 3220 satin 30% - stickiness

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

old_picker
Blackwood

mirotone 3220 satin 30% - stickiness

Post by old_picker » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:55 pm

Had a couple of neck stickiness complaints from people lately. Been using the 30% gloss for a few years now on my necks and it is generally well accepted. It tends to gloss up though to quite a decent gloss over a relatively short period of constant playing. You can buff it up with a paper towel to a decent semi gloss. If you get stuck into the 30% you can easily get a pretty decent gloss with cutting and polishing compounds. I am wondering if the mirotone 10% is any better at maintaining a dry feel than the 30%. Compounding the problem is currently some imported guitars eg charvel / fender are using very dry finishes on necks and that dry flat feel is becoming more desirable.

Wondering if it is time to go for something different even though the ease of use of mirotone 3220 is hard to walk away from.
I note that mirotec have a new 2K matt and satin waterbase finish IRIDEA - the idea of low VOC finishes certainly has its attractions.

Any suggestions most welcome as to the viability of the 3220 matt, the Iridea products or anything else for that matter.

Hank
Myrtle

Re: mirotone 3220 satin 30% - stickiness

Post by Hank » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:27 am

Hey Ray

I've had a similar comment so I sanded the finish off, tweaked the neck profile (he wanted it asymetrical) and wiped 2 coats of Osmo Polyx-Oil 3062 Clear Matt, he loved it

I use Mirotone Mirobild AC 3606 cause it's easy and i'm familiar with it but it still polishes up with wear on the back of the neck,
It's one step up from the PC 3220

Cheers Frank
Without deviation progress is not possible.