New member and new instrument builder, hello!!!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

dwrockdoctor
Gidgee

New member and new instrument builder, hello!!!

Post by dwrockdoctor » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:53 pm

Hi everyone,

New to the forum and new to instrument building but thought I'd post to say hello and share what I've done so far. First full instrument is greatly inspired by New York luthier Carl Thompson's work, especially the basses he has made for Les Claypool (Primus fanboy from my youth). Made from Bunnings supply, I didn't want to waste precious expensive timbers on a first build in case I butchered it. The body is laminates of meranti on the sides and for the strips with a tasmanian oak middle and glued against a tasmanian oak back that has some subtle figuring. Neck is also tasmanian oak with a, you guessed it, tasmanian oak fingerboard stained with a dark brown stain to give it a more rosewood look. Also crafted the bridge/saddle and nut out of some scrap maple lying around.
Omega Bass (CT Inspired).jpeg
Omega #2.jpeg
Turned out pretty decent for a first build, plays nicely enough. Cost me all of $150 to put together with some cheap tuners and pickup from ebay. I failed wood work in my senior year of high school if you can believe it! Thought I didn't have the skill set. Was always curious and finally got the gusto to give it a go. A cheap bandsaw and beltsander and some basic tools and here I am now.

My first partial build I made before I took on the fretless bass build was an alder body I made to go with a PRS neck I had in my collection. Going for the PRS EG vibe which is their take on a strat they did in the early 90's. Plays like butter just like a PRS but sounds like a strat.

Currently on my next build which is also PRS EG inspired with a swamp ash body, tas oak neck with a flame maple fingerboard. Onwards and upwards...

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Re: New member and new instrument builder, hello!!!

Post by Crafty Fox » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:54 am

Welcome to the madness!
Great effort for your first build, well done. :)
Ken

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:37 am

Welcome to the forum!

dwrockdoctor
Gidgee

Post by dwrockdoctor » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:50 am

Crafty Fox wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:54 am
Welcome to the madness!
Great effort for your first build, well done. :)
Thanks for the response guys. Yep, enough of a decent effort on a first build to hook me into a new addiction, hahaha :lol: