12 string update pics

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

12 string update pics

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:42 pm

Finally got an hour in the workshop today and managed to get fretboard markers glued in. Also got the bridge roughed out and pin holes drilled. Dots are 5mm paua jobs and theyre glued in with 5 minute epoxy coloured up with ebony dust. The bridge isnt glued on yet...I stuck it on the top just to see how it would look. The bridge is based on a Martin 12 string bridge. A bit on the chunky side and nowhere near as stylish as the one on Craig's masterpiece but one day.......

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:20 pm

That's looking great Martin . Your binding around the fretboard looks very sylish and gives a nice tailored look to it . I'm fond of the rosette too . My Mahogany 6 string has one similar with the wider type paua ring ,and I have found a lot of folks comment on it.

Looks like it's not far to go now mate . I'll bet your getting excited about how she will sound . Stringing up a six string for the first time , as we know, is pretty exciting stuff , but you wait till you string up a 12 !!!

Great work mate
Craig Lawrence

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:44 pm

Yes Martin she looks sweet. I really like the over all look of this one, very well balanced, and the silk in that top is enormous.

Cheers

Kim

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:03 pm

Thanks for the positive reinforcement guys.

Kim..the top is some of Shane Neiffer's classy Lutz....I really love the stuff. Ive got some nice Sitka and Englemann in the shop but the Lutz is something special.

Craig....my efforts cant really be compared to your work of art. Always good to have something to aspire to though.

Ive reached the stage where I could quite easily glue the bridge on and have the thing playable by mid week. The top however needs a few more gloss coats of shellac so Im going to take the time and make sure the finish is perfect.

Cheers Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:16 pm

Hey Craig,

I was thumbing through a recently purchased book on Martin guitars and came across an interesting picture of Crosby Nash Stills and Young (alias the "Mutton Chop Gang")...all toting their Martin acoustics. Dave Crosby is toting a D-18 6 string that has been converted to a 12 string. The headstock has been extended but hes got the original bridge on the thing with courses sharing a single pin....an interesting pic. I suspect this guitar features on the opening track of 'Deja Vu"....one of my favourite CSN & Y songs.

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:56 pm

Martin bro your latest is looking fantastic!!!!

I am a big CS&N fan too. :)

Stephen Kinnaird
Blackwood

Post by Stephen Kinnaird » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:02 am

Martin, let me pile on too: the 12 is looking fabulous!
Now I see why you are needing so many strings!
Best of luck on all the fussy little finishing-up details.

Steve
There are some great woods, down under!

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:29 am

Hi Martins,

You are obviously a lot more patient then me, that looks terrific, are you growing mutton chops to match?
make mine fifths........

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:41 am

kiwigeo wrote:Hey Craig,

Dave Crosby is toting a D-18 6 string that has been converted to a 12 string. The headstock has been extended but hes got the original bridge on the thing with courses sharing a single pin....an interesting pic.
That is interesting Martin Thanks . I've gotta say I am a little dissapointed you've not decided to make up a shared pin bridge in the finish . ( It's not to late to change your mind :lol: ) It would save a lot of bulk in that area ( smaller footprint/weight ,,6 less pins saving even more weight ) and be far less congested in the pin department. Also allows for freedom of choice in spacing the unisons. You'll need the StewMac oversize unslotted pins.

Couple that with a 3/16 " wide saddle so that you can compensate each individual string at the saddle and your twelve will play in tune right up the neck !

Check out my Tutorial on" Shared Pinned Bridges" in our Tute section once again Martin . I have covered the whole operation in detail. Follow it to the letter !, but if you have any further queries, give us a yell

Cheers mate
Craig Lawrence

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:42 am

Bloody hell you have some patience there Martin.

So you work on the fly in fly out principle. Fly in to your workshop and do some guitar building, then fly out again to some other place...work. I'd be chuckin a few sickies to get this one finished. Don't know how you can stand it.

Anyway, it is looking real nice. The Lutz looks great.
Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:21 am

Craig wrote: That is interesting Martin Thanks . I've gotta say I am a little dissapointed you've not decided to make up a shared pin bridge in the finish . ( It's not to late to change your mind :lol: ) It would save a lot of bulk in that area ( smaller footprint/weight ,,6 less pins saving even more weight ) and be far less congested in the pin department. Also allows for freedom of choice in spacing the unisons. You'll need the StewMac oversize unslotted pins.

Couple that with a 3/16 " wide saddle so that you can compensate each individual string at the saddle and your twelve will play in tune right up the neck !

Check out my Tutorial on" Shared Pinned Bridges" in our Tute section once again Martin . I have covered the whole operation in detail. Follow it to the letter !, but if you have any further queries, give us a yell

Cheers mate
Craig mate,

Fear not...the next 12 string will have a shared pin bridge. The current instrument will have a wide saddle...Ill rout the slot once the bridge is on the instrument to minimise intonation issues.

Cheers Martin

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:47 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Craig mate,

Fear not...the next 12 string will have a shared pin bridge

Cheers Martin

Well that's alright then . I'll let you off ,, but it's still not too late to change !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking forward to your "string Up" mate . Keep us all posted.
Craig Lawrence

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:15 pm

Really a classic look to that Martin. That top looks lovely. Is this guitar for you, or do you have someone that it's destined for? I guess you get to have a lot of dry time in your finishing schedule when you have to be away for so long.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:49 pm

A few more hours in the shop today and I bit the bullet and whacked the frets in on the 12 string.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:50 pm

Allen wrote:Really a classic look to that Martin. That top looks lovely. Is this guitar for you, or do you have someone that it's destined for? I guess you get to have a lot of dry time in your finishing schedule when you have to be away for so long.
Allen,

None of my guitars stay in my shop..as soon as theyre finished they become like teenagers who have stayed too long at home. Owner of the 12 string will be a musician friend who has never owned a 12 string.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:13 pm

That's a great philosophy Martin. It's really starting to come together now. Your friend is going to love that one.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:12 pm

Gluing on the bridge is my least favourite part of building a guitar. I usually spend 3-4 days working out intonation and the best position to put the bridge. It then reaches the point where I say to myself....."stuff it if I dont just glue the bastard on now it'll never get glued on".

Pics attached of the process.

Finish scraped away to bare wood in bridge area.
Bridge positioned and anchored with shortened bridge pins in holes 12 and 1.
Upper bridge gluing caul. Holes are to clear the bridge pins used to anchor the bridge while gluing.
Lower Bridge gluing caul....make this while youre bracing the top.
Glued up and clamped up. The underside of the bridge got a wipe with acetone to remove some of the oil in the rosewood and reduce chances of joint failure. Im using Titebond I AR glue.

PHANTOM
Blackwood

Post by PHANTOM » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:24 pm

looks great mate love the rosett and the finger board binding one day ill get to that class I hope..
Carpe Diem

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:31 pm

Class???

Thanks for the vote of confidence Phanty.

If you want to see class then check out Craig's 12 string....my instrument is very much a learn as you go affair. There are alot of things about this instrument that bug me..things that could have been done better with a bit more patience and planning. Ill be glad when then thing is finished and off to its new owner.

I must say though I do love 12 strings and therell be another one on the bench before too long.

Cheers Martin

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:32 pm

Looking very good now Martin. String up tomorrow ??

What an exciting moment to hear her voice. A full report ,when you can !
Craig Lawrence

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:46 pm

The bridge went on this afternoon so I wont be putting any stress on it for at least 24 hours.

Tomorrow Ill get the nut shaped up and drill out bridge pin holes. The saddle slot then has to be done.

Might get some strings on Sunday all going well.

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:49 pm

Yeah , there's still a bit to do yet Martin . Don't rush it . However long that takes is how long that takes ! :lol:
Craig Lawrence

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:00 pm

Okay Ive got my two sets of Schaller M6 mini tuners......hang on, wheres the screws for the second set of tuners????

&&^%%%###!!!!!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:22 pm

More progress on the 12 string. Got the nut roughed out, bridge pin holes drilled and tuners installed. Got half the strings on and am currently determining saddle position prior to routing slot for same.

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:37 pm

Ahh !what a moment Martin . Thanks for including these birth shots. Take your time at this stage. Hope my suggestions on your " compensation thread" have helped out.
Craig Lawrence