Safe-T-Planer sources AU/NZ

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

McCreed
Beefwood

Safe-T-Planer sources AU/NZ

Post by McCreed » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:08 pm

I've been considering a Safe-T-Planer since I upgraded my drill press last month.
Other than the one from Stew-Mac, I've had zero luck finding anything even close domestically.
Anyone know a place in AU or NZ I could get one? (I've seen the Wagner model was discontinued a few years ago)

I can get the Stew-Mac one to shipped for $107AU total, which isn't to bad I guess, but I'd rather keep $$ here if i could.

Thanks in advance
An empty guitar case just needs fillin'

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: Safe-T-Planer sources AU/NZ

Post by Mark McLean » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:02 pm

I have the original Wagner one and it is a useful tool. I used to use it to thickness top, back and side plates - until I got a drum sander which is a much better way to do that job. Now the safe-t-planer gets a lot less use, but I still use it for some thicknesing tasks like headstocks. I have heard that the StewMac version is good, essentially the same as the original. Overall, not an essential tool, but worth having if you don't have a drum sander.

McCreed
Beefwood

Post by McCreed » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:09 am

I have drum sanders for the drill press that I use a lot for contouring and other tasks, but I did a job recently where the planer would have been very handy. I got it done but the planer would have made it quite a bit easier.
Like you, it's not something I would use every day or every job, but when needed it would be worth the price.

May just have to pony up and go the Stew-Mac. (unless someone else chimes in with an alternative)

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:23 pm

Mick,
This might be a viable option. https://woodworker.com/drill-press-plan ... -24760.asp

These looking like they could work as well, attach the wood to be surfaced to something flat and have parallel rails for your router to ride on and Bob's your uncle. Hopefully. Well that's the thought any way.
https://www.amazon.com/CMT-663-004-11-S ... r_1_5?crid

https://www.amazon.com/Magnate-Surface- ... _1_19?crid

McCreed
Beefwood

Post by McCreed » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:01 pm

Thanks Lillian. From what I've seen so far, the Woodtek ones are the only alternative to Stew_mac (or the old Wagners).
After calculating the shipping & exchange rates, Stew-Mac is the least expensive option.
I'm not sure the router planer bit would work for my set up, but thanks again for the suggestion.

Guess I'll be supporting the US economy once again for this one :cry:

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi Mick

Try McJing Tools, Yagoona NSW. - www.mcjing.com.au
they show a safe t planer in their online catalogue, item B1390 for $60.00.
Bruce Mc.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:45 pm

Yep - that looks like a replica of the Wagner product.

Now, lets see what else they sell that I must have.........

McCreed
Beefwood

Post by McCreed » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:10 pm

Hah! Great work Bruce! That's perfect.
I too will have to deep dive their catalogue and see what else I "need". After all, I just saved some money on a Safe-T-Planer so I can spend it elsewhere, right?

BTW, I used to live in Canberra. Did quite a few gigs around there too. I wonder if we ever crossed paths?

Thanks again.

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:05 am

Hi Mick

"BTW, I used to live in Canberra. Did quite a few gigs around there too. I wonder if we ever crossed paths?"

I am not a muso so it is unlikely that we have crossed paths but anything is possible in the Canberra "bubble".
Bruce Mc.

McCreed
Beefwood

Post by McCreed » Mon May 06, 2019 8:38 am

Just thought I'd post another "thanks" to Bruce and update for others.

I ordered the Safety Planer last week through the link Bruce provided.
To my amazement, I ordered it Tuesday morning and it arrived the next afternoon! Can't complain about that service!
They even threw in a diamond deburring/sharpening tool for free.

I finally got a chance to use it yesterday (on a non-guitar related project) and it worked a treat. I can see it getting more use than I previously anticipated.

So thanks again to Bruce for pointing me to the supplier.

Cheers,
Mick

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri May 10, 2019 10:07 am

StewMac has a sale going on until May 21. The Safe-T-Planer is $25 off - knocking it down to $32.23 and the replacement bits are $5.67. With Mick's ringing endorsement I think I'm going to have to spring for one. I've started a practice neck build and I think this will make my life a bit easier.
Thanks Mick for asking about them. I had totally forgotten about them.

McCreed
Beefwood

Post by McCreed » Sun May 12, 2019 9:32 am

"StewMac has a sale going on until May 21."

Hah!!! Story of my life. A day late, and a dollar short! Hopefully the shipping won't make it cost-prohibitive.
Glad I could help (??????) :D

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon May 13, 2019 7:42 am

Mick, that is usually my plight as well. But sometimes the stars align and I get lucky. That and I have been on StewMac's mailing list for about 15 years. But I do appreciate you bringing the subject up.

They have slashed the price on their replacement bits to just over $5 usd, so if you were planning on placing an order with them, or you and a few others were to go in together and split the shipping, it might be worth buying a few sets of the bits0. That's $25 usd off of the price of the replacement bits as well. I placed a large order with them, justifying the purchase with the savings of about $90 for things that I was going to get eventually anyway. Well, I hadn't planned on the Safe-T-Planer, but that was an oversight on my part that you helped point out the error of my thinking. Thanks!

McCreed
Beefwood

Post by McCreed » Mon May 13, 2019 7:55 am

That's great Lillian.
If I hadn't already acquired the one from McJing, I certainly would have jumped on the Stew-Mac sale.
I checked it out last night and the sale price with the planer, extra bits and postage was about $89AU.
I paid $75 for mine with no spare bits (they don't sell them) so Stew-Mac is a better deal in the end.

As for justification... I am the King! I can rationalise just about any purchase when it comes to guitar-related gear & tools :roll:

What else did you get??? :)

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon May 13, 2019 9:35 am

I ordered a set of Grover Mini Rotomatics (205 Series) 3+3 Tuners for a guitar I'm making for me, a set of Gotoh Magnum Lock-Trad 6-In-Line Tuners for Ryan's neck, a couple of TUSQ nut blanks and for the less sexy, and for the less sexy, some supplies for the shop.

McCreed
Beefwood

Post by McCreed » Mon May 13, 2019 9:05 pm

All good stuff. I do like the TUSQ nuts. I've put them on a few recent builds and mods.

Also, I only just noticed you're in the US, so any of the Stew-Mac stuff is definitely more economically feasible for you than us "down here".
Between the crap exchange rate and international postage, I have to be selective about what and when I buy from them.
Cheers

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Tue May 14, 2019 10:53 am

Good to hear you like the TUSQ nuts. I've never used them before and thought I'd give them a try.

Yeah, I'm a bit closer to StewMac than you are. Since this is my third order from them in as many months, I opted for their membership. 3 purchases and I will have recouped what I spent on the membership in shipping alone. I understand your shipping plight. I've assisted a few purchases get to where they were going down under. Postage is not cheap any way you send it. And if I'm not mistaken, they have done away with flat rate international shipping. I was wrong, they still offer flat rate international.