What Camera do you use?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

What Camera do you use?

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:57 pm

My camera died last week so I had to buy a new one.

There was a discussion over at the OLF about cameras and the one that seemed to be recommended was the Canon 590is.

I've always been a Canon user so I did a bit more research and decided it was a good buy for around 200 bucks.

The local camera shop didn't have one so I ended up getting a Canon Powershot SX100is for about $100 more.

The old camera was a Canon Powershot A75. the technology certainly has come a long way in 3 or 4 years.

The Anti Shake technology is great , 10 Megapixel res, Automatic red-eye reductionand it's real easy to use.

With the anti shake technology it's possible to use the digital zoom on full and take pics without a tripod.

Here's an example.

This anti shake business is also really good when using the macro on the camera.

So I'm pretty happy with it so far.

What's everyone else using?
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:42 pm

Ours is about 5 years old now. It's a Kodak DX6490. Was really highly rated when it came out, and still does a pretty good job, but with all things electronic, it's probably getting a little long in the tooth.

Got a 10X optical zoom. and 4 megapixel resolution. The software that originally came with it was so crappy, that it wasn't worth installing. Fortunately, OSX recognizes it and image handling is a breeze.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Colin S
Myrtle

Post by Colin S » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:44 pm

I use a Panasonic Lumix FX50, and love it. Comes with a wide angle lens, three degrees of antishake etc. My technicians that look after our expensive toys at the University advise that when buying a digital camera, buy one from an electronics company rather than a camera company, the Panasonics come with a Leica lens, so best of both worlds.

Colin

gratay
Blackwood

Post by gratay » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:43 pm

thats a coincidence Bob, I just bought a Canon SX100is as well recently..
Haven't taken any guitar shots as yet but it seems like its certainly a huge step up from the 5yo 3mega pixel no name thing I've been using.

xray
Blackwood

camera

Post by xray » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:53 pm

hey bob, not a bad camera choice there. i think these days more people pay attention to the resolution in megapixels then they do with the fine details about lense construction and lense clarity. most of the carl zeus sony lenses are hard to beat and they even appear on mobile phones these days.
My camera i use is a canon 350D SLR and wow is a word i often use with it. i cant tell the difference when shooting on auto with that of a camera such as the one that you have purchased until i start playing with manual features. Honestly though, my photos on the forum the other day turned out crap due to saving for the web and quality reduction from downsizing.

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:51 pm

Good thread suggestion, Bob!

Digital camera technology, and affordability, seems to get better by the month. I got given a Canon Power Shot A550 last Christmas.

A dinky pocket-sized toy, takes great pics, ridiculously easy to use and the best thing is that it doesn't have a fancy power unit, but runs on 2 ordinary re-chargeable AA batteries (worth considering!).

An excellent camera supplier in Oz is Digital Camera Warehouse - stores are in Sydney and Melbourne. Have purchased from these guys in the past ... very good online catalogue (clickable by manufacturer); they have regularly discounted pricing and special packages all the time; REALLY friendly staff at the end of a phone line (1300 365 220), and their despatch service is prompt and efficient.

John
John M