Which is the best Guitar?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

TallDad71
Blackwood

Which is the best Guitar?

Post by TallDad71 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:46 pm

I have recorded the frequencies of two guitars, fully strung tapped with a hammer at the bridge and averages taken.

One is made of Walnut and is a good guitar. The other is made of cocobolo and is the nicest sounding guitar I have ever heard/built. Cocobolo is more dense than walnut so one guitar weighs more, aside from that they are from the same mould, same tops batch.

Two questions which is the best blue or green or is it just not possible to tell?

Can I aspire to construct all guitars to have the same frequencies as the better one or do material differences just not allow?
4C72706C-F2D7-42E6-B7EB-FCEBBD726C4B.jpeg
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Re: Which is the best Guitar?

Post by Steve.Toscano » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:25 pm

That main top peak on the green (153hz) is very low. I notice that there is also a peak on the purple at same spot, could this be something in the environment ???

Because of the very low freq of the green I'm going to say the blue is the better guitar.

Unless the main top frequency of the green is the 211hz peak???
Either way, still backing the blue.

At the end of the day though, the better guitar is the one that: sounds best (to you), plays the best, and looks the best :)

TallDad71
Blackwood

Post by TallDad71 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:48 pm

Been away. Sorry for delay.

Steve you are bang on the money. Just need to stiffen the top I think to try and re-adjust those frequencies. With big hands like mine that’s going to be painful.
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

Petecane
Blackwood

Post by Petecane » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:14 pm

I think I agree with Steve regardless of fequencies.
At the end of the day there is no "best " guitar.
It is all subjectional.
There is no "best " anything.
The "best" is what that particular person picks up and prefers to anything else.
I once ( decades ago ) picked up an original Jose Ramirez flamenco guitar quite cheaply.
I thought that because it was made by the master it would surely be " the best".
I was wrong and sadly disappointed.
It was a pig to play and just did not vibrate as it should.
The action was way too high.
The neck over time had warped and the guitar was passed ii's maximum. It was simply played out and/or stored incorrectly.
With instruments it is all to do with vibrations.
If you like a certain set of them as opposed to another instrument than thats the one for you.
Furthermore, I have found that certain instruments ring better on the treble side ( ie Flamenco guitar ) and others ring better on the bass side and it goes on and on.
Notwithstanding that us lot ( humans ) change our views.
There are instruments that we prefer to play a certain role.
Many musicians have a number of guitars because they all look different and sound different.
If the musician loves it " That is it ".
Pete