Attention all Lurkers

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Beya
Gidgee

Re: Attention all Lurkers

Post by Beya » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:56 pm

Hello all forum members and administrators!

I’m one of the lurkers around here.

I’m Manuel, from Spain. I’ve worked as professional electric guitars maker some years ago, in Madrid, where I learned with one of the best masters on the country in that field. But someday I let everything behind me and stared a new life making and learning new things. Here in Spain we have a telling maybe you could understand: “much things apprentice = no one thing master” (please excuse my English writing) and I do feel like an eternal apprentice about everything that catch my eyes.

From time to time I struggle searching for motivation on guitar making again (I do some ocasional repairs but It isn’t my bread and butter) and then one day I knew about the books and that new way of looking into the whys of guitars, so as soon as I purchased them I joined the forum to lurk in, but it hasn’t been till a few months ago that I got deeply onto the reading, made my calculations and plans, hoping I‘ll be able to get out of the “imagination realm” (thinking, lurking, reading, drawing, dreaming…) a place on my mind where I can do whatever I want without facing the reality but in which I also can be trapped on the “analysis paralysis “ by not being sure, not having all the tools and materials I do need, fear about failure, and the last and heavy one: “yes, let’s spend a lot of money and time to make a guitar nobody will buy🤦
Those are traps I bet some of you know well.

I’m actually making the jigs, and learning to work by hand, and I’m loving it! Oh, how nice is to make a nice wooden plane, sharpen the blade with ease and plane the wood with accuracy, without noise neither dust! (Since the beginning I’ve got access to all the usual machines on a professional guitar making workshop and never take my time on learning some basic skills as planning).

I’ve made about 70 Selmer style guitars, but it was while working later on a small factory where speed was the key, so I learned a lot about batching processing, and tools and jigs for them but nothing about soundboard propertys, acoustics, and all the small and not so small details that make a great instrument. “Good enough for me” where the words I most frequently listened to when working at that shop, and maybe it was good enough for the business goal, but for sure, it was not good enough for me. So I know nothing about acoustic guitar making but some theory.

The first trials on falcate bracing will be on an electro-acoustic with mahogany hollow body and spruce flat top acoustic soundboard, piezo pickups for the “acoustic “ and one humbucker for the electric side. But unlike most electro-acoustics I know, I’ll try to make the soundboard as in a real acoustic one (thickness, rigidity, bracing) hoping the piezo sound will get closer to a “real acoustic through piezos”. And since it’s an instrument just for the joy of building and learning, I don’t care much about it (but I do really feel it will sound great for my playing style).

I’ve never used epoxy for bracing (neither tested soundboards for structural characteristics) and I do prefer to do it on that guitar that on the Grand auditorium model I want to build next

As soon as I have something to share I’ll let you know.

Meanwhile, I’d like to thank you all for sharing your knowledge and thoughts and helping us the lurkers to get access to your knowledge.

Here you have some photos of the jigs I’m making now
IMG_0897.jpeg
almost finished fret saw machine made with an old circular saw machine and a speaker cabinet
9774AB6A-A445-45A8-BBF5-B72CC24828A4.jpeg
jointer wooden plane, plywood core, cumaru sides and Ipe sole, with veritas plane kit.
IMG_0768.jpeg
Making the soundboard solera…

And if you click on the Instagram link you’ll see the G.A. molds. with the electro ac. sketch on the rear wall.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYtLww1IwrS ... MyMTA2M2Y=

Have a nice day and greetings from León, Spain

Manu

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:01 am

Hi Manuel
Welcome to our forum. You have a lot of experience, but now it sounds like you are finding your passion. That is fantastic. Your workshop and jigs look great. I am looking forward to seeing what you will produce there. Please share your work and your ideas with us. We are far away but have the same interests.
Cheers
Mark

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:10 pm

Thanks for the post Manuel and the introduction. Looking forward to progress pics of your builds.
Martin

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Post by Insomnomaniac » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:58 am

Insomnomaniac wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:49 am
So I joined up several years ago, got all excited about starting to build instruments, bought some timber etc...

...then went through a divorce, lost motivation, started a couple of different hobbies instead, and kind of forgot that this forum existed.

Just recently though, I found the slab of Tassie Blackwood I bought about 10 or 11 years ago with the intention of building an electric guitar, and my interest has been rekindled. So here I am. I guess time will tell if I actually get anywhere this time around!
Well I went almost immediately back to lurking, but since this post I have finished that first guitar (a tele), made 2 "matching" electric ukuleles for my kids, and built a second electric guitar which I designed myself.

I'm not building anything right now, but I still have a timber set for a ukulele I meant to build 10 or 12 years ago, and a vague idea that I want to build an electric bass next...

Here's some pics the guitars I've built so far! Very keen to hear any feedback. (and yes, I know the second one needs the strings trimmed - I'm chasing a fault in the wiring of the neck pickup, so l trim them one that's fixed, just in case I still need to take the strings off...)
IMG_20220313_100905.jpg
IMG_20220313_100846.jpg
IMG_20220313_100818.jpg
IMG_20221016_152840_607.jpg
Ian

Carpenter turned Knifemaker, now tentatively trying Luthiery as yet another hobby on the list...

clamman
Gidgee

Post by clamman » Sun May 14, 2023 11:47 pm

Hello everyone! I'm a long time woodworker but first time guitar builder from the United States. Presently, I'm in the process of jigging up - which in itself seems never ending - molds, radius dish, acrylic brace templates, go-bar deck and rods, etc. Our city has a pretty decent makerspace with two large CNC machines both router and laser in addition to the standard Bandsaws, J/P, TS, Router/Shaper tables which is neat. Working on a CNC is brand new to me and so far shockingly enjoyable.

I also have access to a few interesting local woods which I've resawed for backs and sides - Black Locust and Osage Orange. So I have a few sets that will be ready in a year or two of each. For soundboards, I bought a few sets from Rudi Fuchs and have been pleased with both the density and appearance.

Finally, I purchased one the last copies of Trevor's books at Stew Mac a few weeks ago. Thankfully, I've got an exceptionally gifted 7th grade son to explain the math to me and though he has little interest in the woodworking side - he's absolutely enamored with the applicability of the math. So, that works for both of us.

I've thoroughly enjoyed your community here and hope that over the years I can evolve from just taking your advice and guidance to passing along some of my own to future new members.

Be well everyone.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Mon May 15, 2023 1:42 am

Hi claman
It is great that you are wanting to bring your woodworking chops to guitar making. You will find that it is not too difficult and I am sure every step in building a guitar will be within your competence level. But there are a lot of steps. Don’t obsess to much about jigs - you can get by with very simple kit if necessary. Share your work with us as you go.
Trevor’s books are great. You can build a guitar without using any of the equations, but it great to delve into the theory if you (or your son) are interested. Volume 2 has a lot of really practical building advice, and Trevor’s partner in authorship Gerard Gilet is a masterful luthier. If you get stuck on any practical aspects just post some questions here.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Mon May 15, 2023 1:47 am

Hi Insomnomaniac
Sorry, I had not noticed your post until now. I really like your Telecaster style guitar. Great burst shading on the body, neck and headstock. It looks really “hand made” and just makes me want to pick it up and play.

mtodd
Wandoo

Post by mtodd » Fri May 19, 2023 7:58 am

Insomnomaniac wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:58 am
Insomnomaniac wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:49 am
So I joined up several years ago, got all excited about starting to build instruments, bought some timber etc...

...then went through a divorce, lost motivation, started a couple of different hobbies instead, and kind of forgot that this forum existed.

Just recently though, I found the slab of Tassie Blackwood I bought about 10 or 11 years ago with the intention of building an electric guitar, and my interest has been rekindled. So here I am. I guess time will tell if I actually get anywhere this time around!
Well I went almost immediately back to lurking, but since this post I have finished that first guitar (a tele), made 2 "matching" electric ukuleles for my kids, and built a second electric guitar which I designed myself.

I'm not building anything right now, but I still have a timber set for a ukulele I meant to build 10 or 12 years ago, and a vague idea that I want to build an electric bass next...

Here's some pics the guitars I've built so far! Very keen to hear any feedback. (and yes, I know the second one needs the strings trimmed - I'm chasing a fault in the wiring of the neck pickup, so l trim them one that's fixed, just in case I still need to take the strings off...)

IMG_20220313_100905.jpgIMG_20220313_100846.jpgIMG_20220313_100818.jpgIMG_20221016_152840_607.jpg
The Tele looks great! I look forward to seeing more of your projects.
Cheers,
Matt

jjh
Myrtle

Post by jjh » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:17 pm

I'll say hi again as I can't remember the last time I posted but don't want to be booted out.

Thanks

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:27 am

jjh wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:17 pm
I'll say hi again as I can't remember the last time I posted but don't want to be booted out.

Thanks
Thanks for touching base with us jjh....your account is safe. Hope all is well with you mate. Drop us a post when you can with news on what youve been up to of late.
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:09 am

Just hanging on in there. Used to be a fairly active member here on the forum (a few of the 'old timers' may remember me :wink: ) but unfortunately my wife's health has taken a massive downturn so when I'm not working to pay the bills I'm caring for her so I don't get much time at all for guitar building. I am currently re-topping a Taylor travel guitar for a work colleague but it's taken me over 12 months to get that done and it's still not completely finished! Thank goodness he's not in any rush for it :oops: But that's about all really. I've semi-lost the motivation for luthiery at this stage but I hope when things sort themselves out, I can re-ignite the passion as I have a shit load of tone woods just sitting there collecting dust! :lol: Although I can't see myself using all of it even if the passion does return so you never know, you may see some of my stash pop up on the forum for sale at some stage.
But anyway that's where I'm at.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.