Blackie & Sassie Live

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Blackie & Sassie Live

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:22 am

Here are a few more sound bites of the lap slide guitars.

Please go to www.myspace.com/ozziebluesman where you will find two files named BlackieLive and SassieLive.

These are mono files recorded live in the spare bedroom. I have used just the Rode NT3 Condenser Mic pointed at the twelfth fret about 20 cm away and no soundhole pickup this time. I hope the files give you the a true indication of their acoustic sound and the difference's between the two guitars. There is some computer reverb added and I had to edit out my squeeking chair in a few places. You may have to adjust you volume levels as the signal may be a little hot as in a few place there is a hint of distorsion. Achieving a good live recorded sound is harder than playing the bloody thing.

There is a mixture of cover tunes from country style to hawaiian to blues& roots. Three tunes on Blackie in Open C and four tunes played on Sassie in Open D.

Enjoy!

Cheers

Alan
Last edited by ozziebluesman on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:56 pm

Alan,

That link doesn't seem to work for me (it's missing the .com) but I got there using the search engine on myspace.com. I'm having a listen now.

They both sound great - really nice playing too. That's a wide range of styles they sit well in. I'll listen again later but first impressions are that Blackie is a little more throaty and edgie, and Sassie a bit more smooth but with a good bite - if that makes any sense. That could be the different tunings though - I really like Open C on these things.
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:32 pm

Thanks Dave! I appreciate your thoughts. Yes, I missed the .com on the link. Damm!!! The blackwood will open up in time and turn into something very special IMO.

Thanks mate

Cheers

Alan

Austen
Beefwood

Post by Austen » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:51 pm

Mate they both sound awesome! Congratulations!
Sassie sound phenomenal!!! Im always interested in hearing different guitars play the exact same song, thats how i pick mine when im shopping, a million different guitars, same song, 1 winner.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:46 pm

Alan, I just had a chance to sit down and listen to them. A couple of times in fact. Both Karen and I really love your playing.

They both sound great, and I sure wish that I could play even a fraction of how well you do. Blackie sounds brighter and seems to have really edgy overtones. Sassie sounds smooth yet growls when needed. Might be the different tunings, but Sassie sounds like she's been played for years and well broken in, and Blackie needs a lot more playing in to my ears to smooth him out.

Thanks for posting those. You're quite and inspiration to me.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:25 pm

Thanks Austen, Allen and Karen for your interest and appreciation of my music.

Cheers

Alan