How to Repair Truss Rod Rattle

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

simso
Blackwood

How to Repair Truss Rod Rattle

Post by simso » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Couple of quick easy ones to start the working year going again.

http://www.mirwa.com.au/HTS_Repair_Trus ... attle.html
Attachments
HTS Truss Rod Rattle.JPG
HTS Truss Rod Rattle.JPG (180.21 KiB) Viewed 14315 times
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Re: How to Repair Truss Rod Rattle

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:20 am

Wow, ok so when gluing the fretboard on, I have been fussing over not getting glue on the trussrod or in the channel. So there isn't a problem with glue and the trussrod?
Trent

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:09 am

Yes and No,

I always avoid getting glue into any truss rod cavity I make as well, but this guitar had a rattle, so the option was repair it properly - remove the fretboard fix the slot and truss rod or inject glue at locations to suppress the rattle.

Sometimes we have to do the cheap fix for the customer otherwise the guitar being a cheapie would have been put into the bin.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:24 pm

Why not use something which suppresses the rattle but doesn't harden enough to jam up the truss rod for this kind of repair?
-Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:42 pm

Absolutely, one issue to consider, is that anything used that is flexible or soft will eventually wear away or split, I say this from the following situation which is the way I use to do it.

Using wax as a fill, you need to get the neck hot to allow it to flow into place, I found the truss rod rattle on one of my earlier wax pots came back a couple of years later, ii suspect repeated vibration at a point squeezed the wax out

Since doing it with titebond, i have had none come back, I suspect the glue, solidifying at singular locations is enough to lock that section of the truss rod within the channel.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:19 am

Yes Steve, wax would tend to do this. Perhaps someone who reads this thread might think of and suggest a modern substance with the desired properties. On the subject of wax, I have repaired accordions and learned a few tricks. One is how to make accordion wax. Basically, my mix was mainly beeswax with a little carnuba wax, which is the hardest wax, and olive oil. This wax mix is used to fix the reed blocks into their wooden seats. Normal wax when cooled in a container shrinks away from the edges of the container and goes rather brittle. The wax with olive oil in it forms a meniscus and sets that way. This means that it sticks to the edge of the metal reed block and to the edges of the wooden seat. Over time the normal wax will go brittle. The olive oil wax doesn't tend to do this.
I'm not sure accordion wax would handle truss rod adjustments, particularly with dual acting truss rods, depending on how tightly fitted the rod is in the first place. Silastic might be suitable, injected into a few spots. I guess it would be a matter of trial and error. The proof is in the pudding, so I guess that going with the Titebond method and not having any returns yet speaks for itself so far...it might be worth pointing out in this tute that this is a fix for cheaper guitars based on time and economics, and that the "perfessyanal" method is to remove/replace the fingerboard for access given that beginners can access them for methodology.
Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:04 am

Agreed on all fronts, may be some better products out there, I also prefer to remove refit the fretboard, but economically that is not always viable, customer should always be given the options IMO regardless.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:15 pm

Excellent, Steve...I admit that I am not as experienced as you in repairs, although I have been repairing instruments since the 1970's on a pretty jack of all trades basis that people living in the country do. One thing which is great information which you share in your tutes is the time to repair information. You are altruistic and generous in your approach and I commend you for your this. You also contribute to making this forum a world leader in my opinion. Cheers, Ross

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:32 pm

All good.

I like the thought that people may learn something from me, I am not the best, but I am also not the worst, well IMO :).

In todays society we tend to rehash what someone else has written, the joys of the internet, so really nothing is new.

One day I will do some tutes on woodwind and brasswind repairs.

I dont call myself a luthier, I call myself a repairer, I am lucky to have great custoimers, and the joy one gets from their job when they see the customers reaction is sometimes worth more than money, but I will take their cash anyway as I do have to eat.

Here is the stuff I love to do

A before and after, the owner drove his car over the top of this one.
Attachments
Crushed 4.JPG
Crushed 4.JPG (161.32 KiB) Viewed 14185 times
Steve
Master of nothing,

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:01 pm

You must have been a panel beater in a past life Steve :lol: Great repair.
Wayne

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:39 pm

simso wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:32 pm

A before and after, the owner drove his car over the top of this one.
An angry saxophonist.....scarey! :shock:
Martin

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:31 am

Amazing saxophone repair, I won't even know where to begin with something like that. :cl I bet that is one happy saxophone owner. Your "Master of Nothing" signature line needs to be qualified and updated.
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:59 am

Very kind.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

simso