Visual Analyzer set-up

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Visual Analyzer set-up

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:44 pm

As many of you will know, I've always recommended the use of v9.0.6 of Visual Analyzer for spectrum analysis as it is the easiest to set up and use. The things that have annoyed me about later versions are as follows:

1) Not being able to save the set up in the *.ini file
2) The scaling of the X-axis, which, when selected as linear will only display to about 1.8kHz rather than the 5.5kHz which it should be displaying to. (The pop-up spectrum window scaling works OK, though)
3) Lack of cursors
4) Having to switch off the phase window every time a spectrum is taken, rather than it staying off when switched off.

I've solved 1). (Right click the starting icon for VA, select "run as administrator" do the set-up, save the .ini file and next time you start up in normal mode, all will be sweet).

Does anyone have fixes for 2), 3) and 4)?

TIA.

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Visual Analyzer set-up

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:54 pm

Brilliant work Trevor on solving problem 1. The other problems......I've tried everything I can think of but no luck. I'm running Windows 7 on my laptop...too scared to load up Windows 10.
Martin

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:12 pm

Woo Hoo! Thank you for solving 1)!!!!!!!!!!!!
A giant step! Works every time I load now.

Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:35 pm

I sort of solved 3).

Cursors just aren't there when running VA64. But the scaling grid is. However, if during the install you just chose VA32 (under Custom) you get cursors in VA32, but you don't get the scaling grid. The scaling grid is useful for saved files, making them easier to read. So it seems to be one or the other.

I'm running Win 7, too.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:17 pm

OK, I've been through just about all the versions of VA from the SillanumSoft site and tried to configure them. Bottom line is that v. 9.0.6 is still the one I prefer.

I haven't found permanent fixes for 2) or 3) or 4).

For 2), one or two other versions will scale the X-axis correctly, but none of the later versions work correctly on my machine. A work around if you need to run a later version (for example if you can't get v. 9.0.6 to run on Win 10 - I don't know whether it should or not) is to manually set the X axis scaling. Go to the Settings menu, select the Spectrum tab, move to the Freq. Range section (lower centre), switch off Automatic and set Lower to zero (0) and Upper to 1000. At least then you'll see mostly what we want to see, without a lot of spurious gaps.

For cursors on the Frequency Spectrum pop-up window, most versions have them. I can't get them using v. 9.0.6. in Win 7, but can when running that version in Win XP. The 64 bit 2014 version has them in Win 7, but the 32 bit 2014 version doesn't. I've not found any facility to switch them on or off.

I can't get the phase window on the Frequency Spectrum pop-up window to latch off in any version.

If there is anyone using Win 10 who has these problems please let us know; likewise if you've solved any of the outstanding issues in any version or operating system, please tell us how!

Cheers, Trevor.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:07 am

I managed to borrow a Win 10 laptop (Dell) to see how VA worked with that operating system. Long story short, exactly the same as on Win 7. So for those still wondering, just load up VA version 9.0.6., it seems to work fine on Windows systems from 2000/XP/NT/Vista era through Win 7 to Win 10. It's the version that does all you need with least hassle.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:35 pm

I'm probably stating the obvious...but are the developers of VA still around and if so what do they think of our concerns? -Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:53 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:35 pm
I'm probably stating the obvious...but are the developers of VA still around and if so what do they think of our concerns? -Ross
I believe the guy who wrote the software is Italian. It's shareware so I doubt many users will have made any contributions. He seems to have other projects going which have higher priority than VA.
Martin

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:07 pm

An attempt to contact him might bear fruit perhaps?-R

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:19 pm

While I think of it, can anyone explain to me how to use the oscilloscope in VA please? What kind of interface do I need for the input channels?-Ross

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:38 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:35 pm
I attempted to contact him a few years ago, but no reply. I get the impression he wrote it as part of a PhD or something. It looks like he hasn't updated anything since 2014, so I suspect what we see is what we've got.
blackalex1952 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:19 pm
While I think of it, can anyone explain to me how to use the oscilloscope in VA please? What kind of interface do I need for the input channels?-Ross
At the minimum you don't need anything. The Scope set-up is analogous to the Spectrum set up then hit Capture Scope and you get the scope Window (and spectrum window as well if you choose to show both (View menu in the pop-up window)). I used my usual mic for the input and just recorded a tuning fork, and that worked fine.

If you want to look at higher signal levels (volts or hundreds of volts rather than micro and millivolts), you'll need a (switching) voltage divider arrangement to drop the voltages down to the millivolt levels that your PC mic or aux input will handle. I wouldn't recommend looking at high voltages without lots of protection, as if any of that ever gets onto you or your PC (like if you accidentally select the wrong range) you'll have an instant fry-up.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:58 pm

I'm still not all that clear on the oscilloscope input. Normal scopes have probes which measure directly from AC circuits. It doesn't seem like a good idea to use an audio line or mic level input for this purpose. -Ross

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:47 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:58 pm
It doesn't seem like a good idea to use an audio line or mic level input for this purpose. Normal scopes have probes which measure directly from AC circuits.
Exactly. Not a good idea unless your raw signal level is in those "audio" voltage ranges. But most computers only have those types of input, which is why for higher signal levels you would need the voltage divider (a type of attenuator) so you can set the range so you use only the correct proportion of the signal as per the requirements of the computer input; the protection so you can't blow anything up; and, of course, a set of probes. Then you have to calibrate everything if you want real numbers. Your average PC is not well suited to this type of application.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:49 pm

A supplementary question:

Those who use smart phone apps for the stuff I typically use Visual Analyser for, what would you recommend?

TIA.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:49 pm

Trevor Gore wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:49 pm
A supplementary question:

Those who use smart phone apps for the stuff I typically use Visual Analyser for, what would you recommend?

TIA.
I occasionally use Peterson Strobosoft Suite (have computer, Ipad and Iphone versions). Works ok but I always seem to keep going back to VA..I prefer it's tap tuning facility.
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:38 am

Thanks, Martin.

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:07 am

I have been using FFT on iphone.

(Mind you I have only been testing pates for f since I installed it.)
Trent

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks, Trent.

Any others, anyone?

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:48 am

I think the other way to fix problem 1) is to change the permissions on the file that VA writes back to:

By setting the security on the folder in which VA sits, in the case of Win 8 C:programfiles/VA2011, in Win7 C:programfiles(x86)/VA2011 such that users had write access as well as system and admin then VA would save the settings. It seems to write them into a file called VA.INI.

I did post this up a while back but it probably got lost in a long thread.
------------------
Dave

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:11 am

Yep, that's right Dave. To generate the .ini file the current user needs full admin rights to the default file location (C:\Program Files*\VA*). There are numerous ways to do that.

Once upon a time you could save the *.ini file to a location the current user already had access to by nominating it when using the Save As button in the Settings>Spectrum window. Not sure that still works in Windows versions later than Win XP, or it may work only if you save it there the first time you try to save a set-up file.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:10 am

Also check out this thread and go to page 3: http://www.anzlf.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3652

TallDad71
Blackwood

Post by TallDad71 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:11 am

FFT by studio six digital seems to produce curves that as detailed as those you have included in your books Trevor.

Very simple to use store and compare graphs.

It’s data is all sourced via a microphone which may be a limiting factor for your work.

The peaks in response curves marry up very well to highly responsive Chladni patterns. It also has a tone generator built in.
Alan
Peregrine Guitars