bridge placement

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

yakka
Myrtle

bridge placement

Post by yakka » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:17 am

Does the bridge have to sit over some part of the x brace ?

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: bridge placement

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am

yakka wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:17 am
Does the bridge have to sit over some part of the x brace ?
Usually sitting just aft of the intersection of the brace....the bridge plate nestles in the V created by same. Aft side cross braces should pass under bridge wings...I usually have mine 10-25mm in from wing end.
Martin

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Think about the mechanical connection between the bridge and the bracing. The bridge can be seen as a brace in itself, along with the bridge plate. On an acoustic flat top guitar the bridge rocks back and forth, with a greater motion at the rear of the bridge. The ends of the bridge on an X braced guitar need to connect to the X braces so that they can be driven by this rocking motion. So the bridge position has a lot to do with the brace angle. Close the braces the bridge moves towards the tail of the guitar, open the brace angle and the bridge moves towards the headstock. This then affects the shape of the guitar so that the bridge is reasonably centred on the soundboard.The bridge position and brace angle also affect the scale length and the neck to body ie 12th or 14th fret.
PS: I seriously recommend the Gore/Gilet books.
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

yakka
Myrtle

Post by yakka » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:31 pm

thanks for the replies,
what i have done is during the process of making this guitar (am making 4 as I go) i have forward shifted the braces, and the bridge i made that fits my other guitars does not sit over the X braces so i have to make a new one with longer wings. i was pretty sure it had to just checking.
regards
Chris

Onoitsmatt
Wandoo

Post by Onoitsmatt » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:27 am

Is it possible to have the bridge too far forward on the X-brace? In other words, is there a limit to how close to the x intersection you'd want the bridge (assuming your bridge pins won't be piercing the x-brace)?
Matt -Phoenix, AZ

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:37 pm

Onoitsmatt wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:27 am
Is it possible to have the bridge too far forward on the X-brace? In other words, is there a limit to how close to the x intersection you'd want the bridge (assuming your bridge pins won't be piercing the x-brace)?
If the bridge sits too far forward on the cross brace then you won't have the rear members of the cross supporting the wings of your bridge.
Martin