Non conventional neck reset how to..

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

simso
Blackwood

Non conventional neck reset how to..

Post by simso » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Attachments
HTS Sacrificail neck reset.JPG
HTS Sacrificail neck reset.JPG (170.82 KiB) Viewed 8361 times
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Non conventional neck reset how to..

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:52 pm

Thanks Steve....
Martin

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:02 pm

Crazy busy, with just the repeat stuff, refrets, broken guitars, paint jobs and so forth, have a few new walk throughs happening but they are more the bigger jobs.

I have a maton top change being finalised next week, currently painting the finished job, so will upload that one as a walk through as well, also have the fitment of carbon fibre rods to a neck as a walk through happening, so still a few in the works

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

vandenboom
Blackwood

Post by vandenboom » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:08 pm

Steve- firstly thnx for making yr experience available to mugs like myself. I learn so much.
I wanted to question your use of Irwin quick action clamps when gluing fingerboard to neck. I have a set of those clamps also but never feel they provide the pressure needed for jobs like that so always use heavier steel clamps. Clearly u don't see this as an issue. I recall reading something once distiguishing between clamps designed to hold two surfaces together without much pressure (Irwin?) and those that apply considerable force.
Frank

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:43 pm

Hi frank,

Good question, for me, I have some super heavy duty clamps which I used in my early days of furniture building (my own house furniture, not commercial) things always failed, I personally believe in retrospect that too much pressure was being used and this was the cause of my failures.

I find firm but not tight clamping will join surfaces together perfectly and allow enough glue to penetrate into the wood and still allow a bond, by clamping too tight, I think we actually squeeze that glue out of the areawe really need it.

Irwin clamps apply a nice amount of tension, I have glued tops, backs, assembled and made necks, fitted fretboards, crack repairs, cracked headstock and so forth and used them on every job,good all round clamp IMO.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Andos
Blackwood

Post by Andos » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:44 am

Thanks for that Steve.
More clamps with less pressure - makes a lot of sense. And the 1mm pins. Much easier than trying to hold things to a pencil line.
I've also been considering copying the tile layers and using a serated scrapper to get a more even spread of glue under the fret board.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:55 am

Great pictorial Steve. I have never seen that approach to resetting the neck angle - but it makes a lot of sense when you can't unglue the joint. I can see you developing a specialty business in doing Ovation resets - wouldn't that be fun!
FWIW I find a great clamping system for gluing fingerboards is to wrap the whole thing end-to-end with a bicycle inner tube (with the 1mm pins that you have mentioned stopping everything from sliding around). It is like bandaging up a sprained ankle. Super fast and very effective. Titebond doesn't stick to the rubber tubing.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:21 pm

The forum needs a like button, I think the bicycle tube is an excellent idea for attaching a fretboard.

I do way to many ovations as it is :(

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

nicco
Sassafras

Post by nicco » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:19 pm

That's a couple of great suggestions with the 1mm drill bits and the bike inner tube. Will definitely give them a crack.