cheap shopvac with power takeoff

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

matthew
Blackwood

cheap shopvac with power takeoff

Post by matthew » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:30 am

Bunnings now have an Ozito wetndry shopvac with power takeoff for $79. Hard to go past that - getting a few for the shop and to go with my dust deputy.

Bit noisy but they work fine.

Fisherman
Blackwood

Re: cheap shopvac with power takeoff

Post by Fisherman » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. Exactly what i've been looking for to go with my festo random orbital... at 1/10th the price of the festo version

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:57 pm

Fisherman wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:44 pm
Thanks for the heads-up. Exactly what i've been looking for to go with my festo random orbital... at 1/10th the price of the festo version
I don't think you can compare Festool and Ozito just on price. The Festool will have better quality of build and dust filtration will be miles better than the Ozito. Note that Matthew is running his Ozito via a Dust Deputy.
Martin

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:57 pm

well Martin ideally I'd have a dust deputy on all my vacs but I don't. And a DD takes up precious room. for now I keep the dust deputy for the sanding machines and at the moment I'm just using a straight vac on the Bandsaw.

sure, the Ozeto won't compare with any festool performance wise but at that price, and with a three-year replacement warranty, it's hard to see where you can go wrong. any dust control is better than no dust control ...

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:04 pm

also I figure in MY shop the sanding machines get perhaps 5-10 minutes total running time per day max, and the Bandsaw maybe 2-5 minutes max. so there's not a lot of wear and tear on the vacs. if I was doing a lot of machining or. thickness sanding, it'd be a different matter. we don't use any Power tools regularly except a disc sander and the oscillating drum sander. and occasionally I'll use a router. Instrument finishing is done by scraper and hand sanding.

I think an ozito under my main bench will be great with the router, one less switch to think about.

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Fisherman wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:44 pm
My experience with shopvacs like these connected to sanding machines they just put the fine dust into the air....

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Post by Mike Thomas » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:59 am

My experience with shopvacs like these connected to sanding machines they just put the fine dust into the air....
[/quote]

Should still be useful with a router.
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:43 am

Mike Thomas wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:59 am
Should still be useful with a router.
[/quote]

And I use a Karcher equivalent vac unit with my hand held routers. In my post I merely stated that one shouldn't compare a Feestol vacuum unit with an Ozito purely on price. As Matthew and everyone else who's posted appears to be doing....a cheaper vacuum unit will suffice for tasks where relative output of dust is low but where prolonged dust making is planned then something better is called for.
Martin