Bridge Pins - 12 String Guitar

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kim Strode
Blackwood

Bridge Pins - 12 String Guitar

Post by Kim Strode » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:53 pm

I have recently commenced a 12 String guitar build and during recent discussions with Bob, he suggested using 6 large bridge pins (2 string per pin) as opposed to 12 pins with a string to each. The rationale being that it is easier to align six pin holes. He previously used extra large bridge pins to accomodate the separation of the two pairs of strings on this build. Does any know where I might source large bridge pins, or have thoughts on this suggestion?
Kim Strode
Daylesford, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Bridge Pins - 12 String Guitar

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:51 pm

Martin

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:39 am

I built a falcate 12 string guitars with 2 pins per string and just used normal sized pins. I followed the Craig Lawrence's tutorial already posted (unfortunately all of the photos are now gone). I have a few pictures in my 12 string build blog but not a the detailed tutorial. In any case the pin size really does not matter there is plenty of room to cut the required slots in the standard pin holes.

Here is my blog on the first page there are some pictures of me cutting the slots. It also includes a completed picture from Craig Lawrence's blog

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7288

mqbernardo
Myrtle

Post by mqbernardo » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:25 am

https://www.finetools.com.au/collection ... hand-plane

just googled and fond this site, so quangsheng has a distributer down under. no affiliation, never used their services, can't vouch for them... usual disclaimers. but worth a look.

mqbernardo
Myrtle

Post by mqbernardo » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:16 am

mqbernardo wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:25 am
https://www.finetools.com.au/collection ... hand-plane

just googled and fond this site, so quangsheng has a distributer down under. no affiliation, never used their services, can't vouch for them... usual disclaimers. but worth a look.
sorry, this answer got into the wrong thread an di can´t seem to find the edit button. please dis-regard.

Miguel.

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:08 am

Hi Kim , The oversize pins came from Stumac. I'll try and find the pictures I included in the tutorial.
Craig Lawrence