Picking a Drum Sander

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

tcjbrown
Gidgee

Picking a Drum Sander

Post by tcjbrown » Wed May 24, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi everybody, I'm picking up a drum sander in a couple of weeks and I've got a a few choices that I'm currently looking at.
It's either the Carbatec 400mm one, This one from SE QLD Woodworking Supplies or the Jet 10-20. I'm mostly building ukes, I'm planning on getting into some box making soon as well. I understand that the Jet's probably the best option, but I'm not sure that I won't want to work with larger instruments or want to do some furniture making in the future. Any thoughts on which way I should go?

Thanks!
Tori

simso
Blackwood

Re: Picking a Drum Sander

Post by simso » Wed May 24, 2017 4:25 pm

I have

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L110

very similiar to the carbatec one, no complaints

Streve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed May 24, 2017 4:32 pm

I wouldn't buy a Jet Performax again. Ive got a 16/32 that has been giving me issues since I got it. First thing to go was the feed belt motor....after 2 years and minimal use. After that I had continual issues with getting the feed belt to track properly.....ended up gluing a large wooden disc on one end of the outfeed roller to stop the belt rubbing up against the motor side of the platten. Some machines have issues while others don't....it depends on whether you get the machine made on Friday afternoon or not.

When the thing is going it does an ok job but I spend far too much time dicking with it.
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed May 24, 2017 5:14 pm

I owned a Jet 10/20 and it was the biggest piece of crap I ever spent good money on.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed May 24, 2017 5:16 pm

I have two drum sanders so can offer a varied opinion.

My first is the open sided carbatec one and its only good for light work, I've killed it twice and had to have it repaired after using it for bodies etc.

It really is just a hobby machine and not made for constant work, it just can't keep up and overheats, first time it cooked the circuit board which was still under warranty and I was told the repair was worth more than the machine, second time it cooked the shut off switch which was luckily a cheap fix.

I've also got a large twin drum Ledacraft sander. I've pushed it pretty hard and it keeps going and going, it will trip out the safety switch before cooking the machine. Only issue I've ever had with that one is I hate having to change the paper! I buy 100m rolls and cut my own.

Now that I have both machines and understand them a bit more than when first purchased I only use the cabatec for small jobs like headstock caps and fingerboards, and I use the twin drum for bodies, neck blanks etc and is making acoustics back and sides etc.

If you're only doing one job at a time, the carbatec should be fine, but it's not s machine you want to stand there for a couple hours withbor it'll die.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Wed May 24, 2017 9:43 pm

I have the same one as Simso - from Machinery House (Hare & Forbes). It works well for my hobby-level workload. I think the price has gone up a fair bit since I bought mine a few years ago (falling $AU I guess). Remember that you will need to add a dust extractor if you don't have one. You can't use these things without one. Once you have a drum sander you will wonder how you ever did thicknessing by any other method.

TallDad71
Blackwood

Post by TallDad71 » Thu May 25, 2017 3:36 am

I have a Jet 16-32
In the main it is great but Jet don't make precision tools. You will have to spend a fair bit of time getting everything aligned. Then repeat the process every three months.

My biggest issue was the sandpaper belt, it would wear out quickly and then start to rip. Eventually I went for the rubber mat which lasts well but doesn't have the same coeedicient of friction as the paper. .

Machine is great, even for work on veneer strips it will get them reliably down to 0.4mm

For an extra 6" of width I'd Go Large.
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

tcjbrown
Gidgee

Post by tcjbrown » Thu May 25, 2017 4:22 am

Thanks for all of the assistance everybody! It looks like I'll be going for the 400mm one, and putting the extra money towards a dust extractor and the required accessories. (Not that I've been
inappropriately using a shop-vac as a dust extractor until now)

Thanks again for all the advice.
Tori

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu May 25, 2017 8:10 am

The advice you were given about the need for an extractor is spot on, don't stooge on that either as it effects the ability of the drum sander to do its job, so buy a decent dust extractor.

If the dust extractor isn't powerful enough to get the dust out of there as fast as the drum is making it you'll find the dust will make a mess of your sandpaper which in turn makes a mess of your timber.

You'll still also want to wear a dust mask on your face and hearing protection.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Thu May 25, 2017 10:46 am

From the replys above, I have been clearly very lucky with my unit, worked the guts out of it and it has not missed a beat.

Maybe reconsider my recommendation if there are more misses than hits with this unit.

Definetly need a dust extractor, the unit will clog up so fast without one

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu May 25, 2017 11:28 am

I forgot to mention the sh*t jet service in this country....it maybe slightly better now that Carbatec have taken over dealing these machines in Adelaide. If you need parts then go here rather than dick around with Jet Australia. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/jet-sa ... n88avc6nv1
Martin

vandenboom
Blackwood

Post by vandenboom » Fri May 26, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi all
I have two.
The open sided carbatec unit referred to above and a home made unit.
I have a love hate rship with carbatec unit. Paper tearing, feed mat slipping, motor tripping out even for small increments. I like using it for narrower jobs like sides, fingerboards etc. I will do backs and tops using 2 passes but stop 0.5mm short of target and finish them on the other.
My home built unit is great. Much more versatile than other. 2hp motor and handles 45cm widths. Even feed is assisted with use of a sled. I love it.
Frank
20170526_174703.jpg

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:41 pm

From memory, Hare and Forbes used to be the Australian agent for Jet. I have a Jet table saw which needed a height adjusting belt, specific to that machine. Carbatec didn't even bother to reply to my emails, and on finally getting through by phone, told me that the parts weren't available here, but from USA they could charge me a king's ransom and get the part in six weeks by the time they had included it in a future container order. I called the original agent who had the bits as old stock. So all who are seeking Jet parts, try that route.

I have a question re the best sandpaper to use. I use, for my hand sanding, the paper I get from a panel beaters supply. One of the brands is 3M, there are others as well. Much better quality than the crap from the average hardware shop. They also have nice wet and dry grits up as far as 2500. Sharper, better backing, cuts for longer and clogs less.
So is there a supplier of professional grade paper in Australia? I am also interested in wide sandpaper for radius dishes. Hard to find.
-Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri May 26, 2017 7:07 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 6:41 pm

I have a question re the best sandpaper to use. I use, for my hand sanding, the paper I get from a panel beaters supply. One of the brands is 3M, there are others as well. Much better quality than the crap from the average hardware shop. They also have nice wet and dry grits up as far as 2500. Sharper, better backing, cuts for longer and clogs less.
So is there a supplier of professional grade paper in Australia? I am also interested in wide sandpaper for radius dishes. Hard to find.
-Ross
This company is pretty good: https://www.thesandpaperman.com.au/
I also get 75mm wide paper for my drum sander from Jim and Irene at CWS: http://www.cwsonline.com.au/
Martin

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Mon May 29, 2017 10:19 pm

I've got the Carbatec one and it has been repaired under warranty. Mine also trips if you look at it the wrong way. Changing paper is tricky. Don't know if I'd buy a Carbatec one again. I do find it a very useful machine when I need it and wouldn't be without a drum sander.
Ken

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Tue May 30, 2017 9:57 am

I have the Carbatec one also. Now is about 18yo and has not broken anything yet. Only complaint is that it is a PITA to change the paper.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Wed May 31, 2017 6:26 am

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who struggles with changing the paper in these machines.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed May 31, 2017 11:35 am

Mark McLean wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 6:26 am
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who struggles with changing the paper in these machines.
I find paper change out pretty straight forward on my Jet.....one of the few things I actually like about the machine.
Martin

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:53 am

My homebuilt works well. I used this web page as a guide: http://www.krtwood.com/ww/sander2/index.html The only substantial change I made is to use spiral velcro and velcro sand paper instead of the slot and wedge concept in the article. It was pretty easy to build, certainly easier than coming up with the $1000+ for a decent commercial unit, most of which I keep reading disappointing things about. Mine is manual feed and for guitar size pieces I use a backing board with a handle and a plate backstop. By paying attention to a steady feed rate and not taking too big a bite at once, I get very acceptable results.
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog