Bracing on a Classical Guitar back

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

zendo
Myrtle

Bracing on a Classical Guitar back

Post by zendo » Thu May 18, 2017 12:35 pm

Hello,

I have glued on the bracing on a Classical back but I won't be ready to assemble the back onto the sides for a couple of weeks. I am concerned that in Courtnell's book he suggests it is not a good idea to glue on the bracing until ready to glue to the sides within a couple of days.. due to possible humidity changes I think. I live in Brisbane. Can anyone help with advice? I am trying to have the back ready to glue on asap but is there any problem I could foresee, and what is possible if there is... Thanks

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Bracing on a Classical Guitar back

Post by kiwigeo » Thu May 18, 2017 12:56 pm

zendo wrote:Hello,

I have glued on the bracing on a Classical back but I won't be ready to assemble the back onto the sides for a couple of weeks. I am concerned that in Courtnell's book he suggests it is not a good idea to glue on the bracing until ready to glue to the sides within a couple of days.. due to possible humidity changes I think. I live in Brisbane. Can anyone help with advice? I am trying to have the back ready to glue on asap but is there any problem I could foresee, and what is possible if there is... Thanks
If you're experiencing wild swings in humidity then I'd probably leave bracing up until as close to possible to back attachment. Once Ive braced up a back I leave it in the dish (12' or 10' radius) sitting in my Go bar deck secured with a few go-bars.
Martin