Slotted headstocks

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Fisherman
Blackwood

Slotted headstocks

Post by Fisherman » Mon May 08, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi guys,

I'd like to improve my process for making a slotted headstock. My last couple have suffered from a few wood chips when I drill the roller holes. Nothing major but not perfect. I'm wondering if I have the steps around the wrong way?

Do you rout the slots after drilling the holes or before? I've been routing first.. drilling second. Any other tips you may have much appreciated!

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Slotted headstocks

Post by kiwigeo » Mon May 08, 2017 2:06 pm

Fisherman wrote:Hi guys,

I'd like to improve my process for making a slotted headstock. My last couple have suffered from a few wood chips when I drill the roller holes. Nothing major but not perfect. I'm wondering if I have the steps around the wrong way?

Do you rout the slots after drilling the holes or before? I've been routing first.. drilling second. Any other tips you may have much appreciated!
Definitely drill tuner holes before doing the slots. If you must do it the other way around....make up some tight fitting wooden blanks to insert in the slots to minimize break through when doing the tuner holes. Using a good quality brad tip bit can help as well.
Martin

Fisherman
Blackwood

Post by Fisherman » Mon May 08, 2017 9:51 pm

Thanks Martin!

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Mon May 08, 2017 10:13 pm

Amen to Martin's advice. Drill the holes for the tuners into the solid headstock and you will get nice clean holes. It is best done with a drilling jig to get them evenly spaced and parallel. Then rout the slots.

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Mon May 08, 2017 11:47 pm

As others have said drill the holes first.

If cutting the slots by hand i drill a hole with a 14mm bit at the top and bottom of each slot and then join these with a jewellers saw. Clean up with a chisel.

Otherwise invest in a router jig for the job. I got one from the luthier tool company, pricey but well worth it.