Modal Tuning in Denver

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Modal Tuning in Denver

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue May 02, 2017 11:06 am

As David Smith mentioned here (just in case David was wondering where his thread had gone), I’ve recently been in Parker, Colorado, just outside Denver, twice presenting the Modal Tuning Course, hosted by the legendary Robbie O’Brien.

We had, all up, 20 participants, a class of 9 and a class of 11 with numerous participants in the usual on-line luthier forums coming along. Robbie and I had a great time, and many of the participants got back to us to say they did, too.

Robbie was a truly magnificent host, inviting us all to invade his home and his workshop, organising the whole deal and arranging a concert by Jim Deeming (a fingerstyle expert – think Tommy E.) for each class. So many thanks to Robbie and all the participants for the great time we all had.

A few photos taken by Robbie (or one of his clan, when he is in shot) are attached below.
Class 1.jpg
Class 1.jpg (133.55 KiB) Viewed 10301 times
Class 2.jpg
Class 2.jpg (142 KiB) Viewed 10301 times
Robbie and I having a technology challenged moment...
Making Chladni Patterns.jpg
Robbie came up with some new ideas for driving a Chladni speaker. I couldn't fly out my 10kg sig gen/amp, so Robbie and one of his students built this self contained speaker/amp unit driven via a bluetooth link from an app on an iPad (will work from a smart phone if you have small enough fingers)! The speaker unit is the black cylinder behind the iPad.
iPad Chladni driver.jpg
iPad Chladni driver.jpg (127.29 KiB) Viewed 10301 times
The monopole mobility rig went hi-tech, too, when we found we didn't have the right sensitivity in a dial gauge. This is a string height gauge, but I would guess many types of digital depth gauge would suffice.
Digital mobility rig.jpg
Digital mobility rig.jpg (99.23 KiB) Viewed 10301 times
Yet more hi-tech with an alternative bridge rotation measurement device - a smart phone app. Plenty accurate as it turned out.
Smart phone bridge rotation.jpg
Smart phone bridge rotation.jpg (95.24 KiB) Viewed 10301 times
The students tried their hand at tapping guitars, too. Here's Greg Mawell giving it a go.
Greg Maxwell tapping.jpg
Greg Maxwell tapping.jpg (133.14 KiB) Viewed 10301 times
A good time was had by all at Jim Deeming's concert.
Jim Deeming.jpg
Jim Deeming.jpg (112.61 KiB) Viewed 10301 times
Whilst Robbie is able to organise just about anything, he came up short with the weather...
Snow.jpg
Snow.jpg (287.87 KiB) Viewed 10301 times
... but that wasn't going to prevent up enjoying that most Australian of pastimes... the good 'ol barbie!
Denver BBQ.jpg
Denver BBQ.jpg (293.63 KiB) Viewed 10301 times
Thanks to Robbie, his family and all the participants for making this such a success!

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Re: Modal Tuning in Denver

Post by lamanoditrento » Tue May 02, 2017 11:21 am

Trevor Gore wrote:
Digital mobility rig.jpg
Yet more hi-tech with an alternative bridge rotation measurement device - a smart phone app. Plenty accurate as it turned out.
How good is that, no jig required!
Trent

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue May 02, 2017 12:14 pm

Better not let Trump know Modal Tuning has just hit the US......it's nearly as dangerous as North Korea :shock:
Martin

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Wed May 03, 2017 5:45 am

Man, how did I miss that was happening? Dang it!
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Wed May 03, 2017 5:52 am

Coming to the UK any time soon Trevor?
------------------
Dave

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Wed May 03, 2017 7:02 am

It's a good thing you do for the industry of guitar making big or small or just plain hopeful,thank's John.
John ,of way too many things to do.

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Wed May 03, 2017 8:21 am

I was luckily one of the participants in the first class. Despite having twice read the Design volume cover to cover and have been building based on the books I found the class really insightful and valuable. The three day class was very well structured and a lot of information was presented in a seemingly short period of time. Yet somehow Trevor was able to keep a loose interactive feel to the class; accepting questions and moving off on related tangents yet somehow ending every section on time.

I would encourage anyone who has the opportunity to attend one of his classes.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu May 04, 2017 8:47 am

Craig Bumgarner wrote:Man, how did I miss that was happening? Dang it!
That seems to have been quite a common response and hopefully something we will be able to fix in future classes. Robbie put this on as a masterclass for his graduate students and it had a waiting list pretty quickly, so we didn't do any wider publicity. It's pretty clear that there is a lot of demand though, which augers well for more classes in the future.
Dave M wrote:Coming to the UK any time soon Trevor?
All it takes it someone in the UK to organise it, :D . If you can find a venue and enough participants to make it economically viable, I'll do it!

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Fri May 05, 2017 10:11 pm

Trevor Gore wrote:.... It's pretty clear that there is a lot of demand though, which augers well for more classes in the future.
I'd probably go to your class most anywhere in the US 48 states, so please put me on your list of those interested if you have such a thing. Thanks!
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog