Mrotone complaints?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

old_picker
Blackwood

Mrotone complaints?

Post by old_picker » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:40 pm

Just had a client who recently acquired a new one of mine and come back with a request to strip the finish off the back of the neck. He tells me it is very sticky. He is a high profile player who I have a lot of respect for so I am taking this pretty seriously. I have finished an awful lot of necks with this stuff without a single issue prior to this. The guitar was delivered around 2 1/2 months ago and he used it on a big show first time last sat. after which he's made the request. No way the finish could not be fully cured.

Any one else had this kind of thing with mirotone?

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Mrotone complaints?

Post by Allen » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Sticky in that the finish is sticky itself, or just that he feels that the surface isn't slippery enough?

I have around 200 instruments out there now and never had one that was sticky as not cured or something wrong. On some high gloss ones I've have had a few say that it was sticky as in wasn't slippery enough for them. For those I've suggested 0000 steel wool and a bit of paste wax on the playing area. They've been very happy after that.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:14 pm

I would go the steel wool as well.

Maybe something from his hands or case has transferred and is exasperating the feeling

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Hank
Myrtle

Post by Hank » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:21 pm

yep last week,
Mirotone Gloss pre-cat, i reckon Allen is on the money, i wasn't happy with the neck profile so gave me a chance to tweak it.
Scarped the finish off, tweaked and sanded the neck profile, wiped two coats of Osmo Polyx oil (this stuff is great) followed by 0000 wool, gave it back last friday and he hasn't stop telling how great it is, country players go figure
Without deviation progress is not possible.

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:37 pm

I have used and heard of many that use turtle wax car polish on a Nitro neck with good results .
John ,of way too many things to do.

old_picker
Blackwood

Post by old_picker » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:03 pm

not slippery enough is the problem - he has another of mine with the same finish no complaints on that one - dont think he uses that one for playing out though

Its a mirotone 30% but by the time I've done it with 1200 grit and buffed it with paper towel it is almost a gloss.
Thanks for the advice I'll pass the steel wool and wax fix and see how we go with that