Introduction/First Build

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Onoitsmatt
Wandoo

Introduction/First Build

Post by Onoitsmatt » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:30 am

Hi, I have been a lurker for a few months. I just wanted to post to introduce myself and for lack of anything to really contribute, figured I'd post a few pictures of my first build.

My name is Matt, I live in Phoenix, Arizona. I've been a guitar player for about 28 years and a hack wood worker for about 15. I've always wanted to build a guitar, but am such a terrible woodworker, have never dared. A couple of years ago I decided the best way to be a better woodworker was to ditch my power tools and adopt a hand-tool centric approach to better understand wood and how it works, grain patterns, etc. I started building a Concert Uke using inexpensive materials in June, 2016 as a practice instrument to learn the process prior to jumping into a guitar build.

I have learned volumes in the process of the uke build, primarily from the mountain of mistakes I have made along the way. It has really been a great learning experience, though very frustrating at times.

The Uke has a padauk back and sides with cedar top. Fingerboard is made from mesquite. Neck will be some really old doug fir that has hardened quite a bit over the years (It's about 35 years old).

Here are a few photos of my build progress so far:

Matt -Phoenix, AZ

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: Introduction/First Build

Post by Mark McLean » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:16 am

Hi Matt. Welcome! Good on you for jumping into making your first instrument after wanting to try for so long. I don't think you will regret it. I have made 5 guitars so far, so still a relative novice - but I have found that my knowledge and confidence has grown quite quickly and the instruments are getting better. I had essentially no woodworking expertise or experience. People are always impressed to learn that you make musical instruments, but the truth is that it is not especially hard. There are many, many steps to execute but none of them are actually extremely difficult. You just need the right mind-set to carefully execute each stage in the process. Mistakes will happen but they are nearly all fixable, and each one teaches you something valuable. I would find it impossible to be a quick, efficient and profitable luthier - but as a loss-making hobby it is great fun. There are heaps of fantastic resources to help you these days (books, online, videos, courses) so you can always find answers to your how-to-do-it questions.

Your uke is already looking good! I can see your go-bar deck and a few nice tools and wood shavings on the floor, so it seems that you are off to a great start. A couple of bits of rookie advice. Follow a plan for dimensions and a good book for process, at least for your first couple of builds. You will start winging it more as your experience grows. There are plenty of sources of plans (see the special section of this forum for a start). I found the Kinkead book to be a good one for a complete novice. You will graduate to heavier texts (e.g. Gore and Gilet) if the bug really grabs you. Be mindful of humidity in your workshop, and the effect that it has on the wood that you are working with. I am guessing that Phoenix is a pretty dry place, but is it consistent? Here in Sydney i have seen 85% RH and 30% RH both within the past week. Swings in humidity, or having wrong humidity at certain critical stages of the build (bracing, closing the box), can really bugger things up. Don't ask me how I know this, just heed the often repeated advice.

You will get lots of guidance here at ANZLF. Show us your work often. Especially, show us your struggles and stuff-ups and we can help you out.
Cheers
Mark

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:48 pm

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum.
Like yourself I took many years of playing before I made the jump to building my own guitars. I've now built 13, (mostly electrics) and #14 will be started soon, an archtop this time.
I also found the Kinkead book to be the most useful of the many guitar build books I own. Haven't got the Gore-Gilet books... Yet. But will, hopefully, in the near future.
I have a niece in Phoenix, she's a nurse at the Mayo Clinic. So you'll be in good hands should you require medical attention. :lol:
Cheers
Ken

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:23 am

People are always impressed to learn that you make musical instruments, but the truth is that it is not especially hard.
True. However, it seems making exceptional instruments is exceptionally hard. I'm trying to move from "nice" to "good". "Exceptional" is a long way off.
Miguel

Onoitsmatt
Wandoo

Post by Onoitsmatt » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:02 pm

Thanks for the input all. I am hoping to get an instrument that isn't absolute garbage. Will hopefully upgrade to OK, then to nice, then at some point, good. Aiming high.

I have the Cumpiano book and have read it a few times, but have followed very little of it. I'll have to check out the Kindkead book it sounds like.

Thanks again. And thanks to all for so openly sharing your experience and knowledge!
Matt -Phoenix, AZ