Major f**k ups

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Major f**k ups

Post by Steve.Toscano » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:07 am

So.... I may have just put my shellac brush into my glass of scotch.. They do look very simular... :toi :gui

Anyway, after Martin's recent effort - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7614 , got me thinking, we all do it, what's the worse f#ck up you've made?

BTW: the scotch was 21yo Glenlivet :evil:

Here's mine:
crack.jpg
Crack

Bachiano
Gidgee

Re: Major f**k ups

Post by Bachiano » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:57 am

Looks like a clean break.
HHG it and it should be invisible.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:21 am

Easy fix. Have another Scotch and relax. Come back with a clear head and heat up the glue.

I once was going to hang up a guitar that had just had it's last coat of clear applied, and missed the wire I was hanging it from. Hit the concrete floor and bounced nearly as high as it was dropped. Back was completely shattered........I learn't how to replace a back from that experience.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:48 am

Almost every day for me :lol: then there's this broken uke neck that went flying out the shed and hit the gate made two more near perfect (to my eyes ) I have the thing that starts kind of bad then I of course keep going and guess what it gets worse :lol: :lol: .learn a lot about fixing stuff still having fun.
John ,of way too many things to do.

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:40 am

Bachiano wrote:Looks like a clean break.
HHG it and it should be invisible.
That crack was from about a year ago. I filled it with epoxy, clamped, cleated the inside, and all good, ended up invisible. :)

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:13 pm

Steve.T wrote:So.... I may have just put my shellac brush into my glass of scotch.. They do look very simular... :toi :gui

Anyway, after Martin's recent effort - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7614 , got me thinking, we all do it, what's the worse f#ck up you've made?
I've managed to surpass my last effort.....I f***ed up cutting the tenon on the third neck.....just finished cutting tenon on the fourth neck :?
Martin

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:30 pm

Phases of the Moon ,the weather :? I remember reading a book on making out folding knives ,he said a coffe first thing in the morning while the brains ticking the rite way mark out then as I do check a dozen times then go what the hell did I just do :)
John ,of way too many things to do.

Dekka
Blackwood

Post by Dekka » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Recently, I finished my first Uke (a gift for my wife). Proud of the result, I took it to show a luthier mate who had helped me along the way and upon leaving his place with a sense of accomplishment I hopped into my car just as the wind blew the door shut; pinning the uke against the steering wheel and cracking the side. I looked at myself in the rear-view and mentally mused if I was a would-be luthier or Mr Bean?
"Tuoba-esra si od I gnihtyreve."

TallDad71
Blackwood

Post by TallDad71 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:51 pm

Mine was all about humidity control. I built a stunning koa spruce steel string body, handmade rosettes, lacewood bindings and fell in love with my own work it was that good.

Took it out of the workshop and into the house so I could concentrate on the neck.

Weeks later I listened to the tap tone, the top wasn't as good as before and when I tapped the back it just cracked, as I repeated taps, it repeatedly cracked. I could have cried.

It now sits in pride of place in my workshop as a reminder to do things right, just above the dehumidifier!
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:26 pm

Here is my latest. Some how I have managed to cut two treble sides for a spanish heel:
IMG_0994a.JPG
IMG_0994a.JPG (124.44 KiB) Viewed 14521 times
Trent

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:56 pm

Got neck number 4 roughed up and the bolt down tenon glued in. Checked neck rake and clearance at bridge was 2mm too high. Routed out the tenon....f****d with the main neck tenon cheeks and glued a new bolt down tenon in. Getting really good at making necks!! :(
Martin

splintermike
Gidgee

Post by splintermike » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:52 am

I've been waiting to show this to someone besides my wife.

In the process of making a couple of bass guitars, my first try at a cutaway. It was easier then I thought it would be. When I took the back out of the go-bar and tried it on I realized that orientation is, if not everything, very important!

It is the back facing up. Someday I'll make a left handed bass.
IMG_0126.JPG

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:41 am

splintermike wrote:I've been waiting to show this to someone besides my wife.

In the process of making a couple of bass guitars, my first try at a cutaway. It was easier then I thought it would be. When I took the back out of the go-bar and tried it on I realized that orientation is, if not everything, very important!

It is the back facing up. Someday I'll make a left handed bass.
IMG_0126.JPG
Shave off braces and back reinforcement strip and re-install on other side of the back??? Those braces look a bit on the beefy side anyway... :mrgreen:
Martin

splintermike
Gidgee

Post by splintermike » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:53 pm

Good idea, but I've already made a new back.
Thanks

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:50 pm

I just spent about 2 months getting bindings and purflings on the f holes of an archtop I'm building ( gave me a hard time ) a few times I pulled bits off and redid them, finally I was happy with the end result so I sent a photo to the client and his reply was, shouldn't the bindings be on the outside? I don't know what I was thinking but I got it arse about and never even noticed, had to pull it all off and start again. D**khead.
Wayne