A long time between drinks

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

curly
Blackwood

A long time between drinks

Post by curly » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:08 pm

G'day all ,
Merry new year , hope the hangovers aren't too nasty !
I found myself with a few hours free this morning and thinking better than to do one of the usual endless work chores , I fished around under the bed for the parlor guitar I'd started for the missus birthday . Minor issue being that was 4 birthdays ago !! Man has it been a long time between drinks . Little did I know when i had kids that babies and guitar building are mutually exclusive . Upon fishing around under the bed i did indeed find the guitar , along with another Gidgee and spruce parlor that I had completely forgotten ever starting .
Anyways , thought I'd share a couple of photos .
It's specs so far are ; Totara soundboard recycled out of a weatherboard , yes the nail holes do go under the bridge .
Back and sides are raindrop figured Blackwood with the sides being laminated with Black Olive Plum , one of the Eleocarpus whose species name isn't coming to mind .
Soundboard bracing is Silver Quandong and back bracing is Black Olive Plum ( I think ! Can't remember)
Rosette is fiddle Leopardwood , green and black dyed purfling and malachite ( stone ) tiles .
Neck is Maple Silkwood
Haven't made up a fingerboard yet but I reckon it'll be Gidgee . I'm a bit spoilt for choice .
The bindings ( 2 of which went on this morning ) are fiddleback Leopardwood with the same dyed purfling .
New Years resolution ; make at least one guitar every 6 years ! On the up side my kids are lovely and being part of their lives I wouldn't change it for the world .
All the best in the new year to you all . May the shavings fly !
Pete
Curly Timbers
Attachments
IMG_3007.JPG
IMG_3006.JPG
IMG_3005.JPG

demonx
Blackwood

Re: A long time between drinks

Post by demonx » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:42 pm

Fancy little project you've got there. The Blackwood looks great.

Hope you have a happy and prosperous new year!

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:56 am

Hi Pete. There are plenty of interruptions in my life at the moment also. But one of the things that I love about lutherie as a hobby is that you can put down a job at any stage and then come back to it - whenever - and pick up right where you left off. It just waits for you. That guitar looks great. I hope that you get some time with it again soon. But enjoy the kids while you have them. They certainly don't wait while you are busy doing other things! Mine are grown and gone. Cheers Mark

Duct Tape
Wandoo

Post by Duct Tape » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:07 pm

This is good stuff Pete. Both the guitar and about the kids.

I have four of my own, kids that is. Lord knows my wife wishes I had just four guitars. The joy of my life and now that they've all moved on it's time to start getting back into building.

Thanks for the great wood Pete. Gorgeous stuff and I hope any of my builds can justify it.

Best to all from Colorado.

Jon
Jon