African Mahogany

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

demonx
Blackwood

Re: African Mahogany

Post by demonx » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:03 am

rocket wrote:Just ordered four billets, due in about six weeks..

Cheers

Rod.
Best find some space for long term storage.

Mine arrived earlier in the week and although the timber looks ok, it's not quite as I ordered.

The main complaint is that I was told it would be at 15% moisture content. Out of the whole two packets of timber there were only a couple boards that I tested at 14%, the entire order was over 40% moisture, most coming in around 44-45%.

I know there are some people who will say moisture testers are inaccurate, however these boards looked wet, felt wet, smell wet and there is no mistake they are long time from being usable. Air drying could be several years until workable. When I complained I was told "yeah, it's wet up there at the moment". A load of BS.

My second complaint is minor compared to that, however it shows the way the work. When I placed the order I was asked to provide all the sizes I wanted the order to be milled to. I provided to sizes and said size A for 90% of the boards, size B for the remaining 10%. Now I added in that if they were unable to fill the entire size A amount that some at half width would be acceptable to fill out the order. So the cheeky pricks put in ONE single board at the ordered dimensions and the entire order was cut at half size as it's easier for them. Again, not what I ordered but technically I had allowed it. My mistake for assuming I'd get what I asked for and I shouldn't have been nice offering a half size option. When I complained about this there was no answer.

So the timber looks like it might be ok, that is if it dries straight and doesn't all warp and split. If I had have ordered at my workable size I'd have a tonne of useless timber however I ordered everything oversize, so hopefully it'll be usable once dried. There was very minimal defects (which I stated I wouldn't accept) and I have stacked, stickered and strapped it using 2.5 tonne ratchet straps. Even though it's only been here three days I can see it's fighting the straps so when yours arrives make sure to strap it or you'll have no usable timber left.

His second email to me after I complained was instructions to show me how to sticker a pile of wood (if you're buying this type of quantity I'd like to think you know how) and to say "next time" we'll let it sit around a bit longer before shipping to you... if this was the way they work I'm not sure there will be a next time.