Articulated string pull

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Articulated string pull

Post by lamanoditrento » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:03 pm

I really like the idea of straight string-pull but really don't want to give up on a symmetrical headstock. On my current steel string build that has led me to try thru headstock banjo tuners. But the other day I did see this :
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (102.72 KiB) Viewed 9465 times
So I am thinking that with this sort of articulated string-pull you would still gain the better intonation at a compensated nut having the straight string but just defer any hang up to the articulation point.

What do people think? Are there other there other downsides with this compromise?
Trent

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Re: Articulated string pull

Post by jeffhigh » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:01 pm

The straight string pull from tuner though nut is not exactly about "better intonation"
The idea is that it improves tuning by allowing the string to run freely through the nut slot. So the string doesn't stick in the slot after a big bend and the string goes flat. And tuning up gives instant results and doesn't need to be redone constantly.

Any form of "string tree" that kinks the string or provides a friction point, work against this aim.

Aesthetically I can't bring myself to the asymmetric shape or a snakehead, but I get as close as possible with a narrow low taper shape and the G and D tuners brought in further from the edge etc

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:09 pm

Straight string pull.....if you want to do your head in then try designing a straight string pull headstock for a multiscale......only one design for 3+3 would work on my current build.
IMG_2584.jpg
Martin

Deems Davis
Sassafras

Post by Deems Davis » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:02 pm

I am probably missing something in my understanding, so I counting on someone enlightening me.

With regards to straight string pull, the pull is not really straight as the headstock is at an angle ( 15deg ?) to the nut even if from a top down view the tuners appear to be 'straight'. In 3D space the strings are pulled at an angle from the nut. .... So what difference does it make if the pegs are offset somewhat? (less than 15 degs in most cases) In 3D space they are still pulling at an angle.

eager to be enlightened

Deems

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:25 pm

You are right Deems that there is still an angle depending on how you look at it.
In practice though that extra lateral deviation, on top of the headstock angle does make a difference.
For example, the classic Gibson les Paul with a 17 degree headstock angle plus widely spread D and G strings is notorious for strings catching in nut slots after bending. hence the popularity of "big bends nut sauce" etc

Deems Davis
Sassafras

Post by Deems Davis » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:26 pm

jeffhigh wrote: In practice though that extra lateral deviation, on top of the headstock angle does make a difference.
Thanks for the 'real world experience' perspective. I'm wondering though what the root cause is. Is it because the string pulls from the offset tuners are not aligned with the nut slots, which would put a small 'kink' in the string? If this is the cause, it seems it could be corrected but a careful alignment of the nut slot with the string pull....?

Would this still be the case if the nut slots were cut/filed so that they were aligned with the offset tuners?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:06 pm

Deems Davis wrote:
Would this still be the case if the nut slots were cut/filed so that they were aligned with the offset tuners?
I don't see how this would remove the sideways kink point at the nut. At some point on the nut the string has to change direction laterally.
Martin