Beefwood - Grevillea Striata

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Beefwood - Grevillea Striata

Post by Bruce McC » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:51 am

I have inherited two slabs of timber said to be beefwood. The timber was acquired in Emerald, Central Qld.
The density of one slab is approx 955 kg/m3 which puts it in the range of Grevillea Striata.
I am thinking of using this timber for back and sides on steel string and nylon string guitars.
Would appreciate any comments particular in regard to side bending timber with medulary rays.
Attachments
Beefwood.jpg
Beefwood.jpg (116.91 KiB) Viewed 4898 times
Bruce Mc.

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Beefwood - Grevillea Striata

Post by Allen » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:56 pm

I've only used Beefwood for bindings, and it's pretty tricky to bend without breaking, but that would totally depend on the way you cut it I suppose.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

curly
Blackwood

Post by curly » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:09 pm

Looks like Beefwood to me and Emerald would be just about right .
The timber is easy to machine though a complet *&%$ to sand . It gums paper like nothing else I've encountered . There is also some coating effect on bandsaw blades in resawing though this can be countered by squirting a little chainsaw bar oil mixed half with diesel onto the guides as you cut . Just a wee bit will do , As soon as the band goes quiet ( you'll know it when you hear it ) that's enough .
I haven't found it overly difficult to bend , particularly in flat sawn material ( as your sample is ) the rays are not too bad for lifting .
I used it for a weissenborn including the soundboard which was pretty daft . It was completely dead sounding . Probably not such an issue for back and sides though the tap tone isn't great generally .
I have found it to be very stable . My favourite use for it is outdoors . It is fantastically durable when exposed to the elements , which is of course completely irrelevant to guitar building .
What else ... Sometimes extractives can bleed out of finish . And when your sandpaper gets coated hit it with a pressure washer , the gumph comes off easily enough .
Pete
Curly Timbers

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:14 pm

Thank you Allen and Pete for your input. Something for me to ponder over.
Might end up with a lot of head stock veneer and rosettes :roll: :roll:
Bruce Mc.