Getting your head on straight

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

nkforster
Blackwood

Getting your head on straight

Post by nkforster » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:30 am

Did this video last week, it features a simple "no measuring" jig for getting your head on straight. Goes onto drilling holes and opening them out.

youtu.be/

Hope it's of use.

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Getting your head on straight

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:44 am

Thanks Nigel...a very useful video clip.

Chamfering the holes is a good tip.....I had major issues on a current build with the edges of my tuner holes catching lint off the pad while french polishing the headstock.
Martin

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:51 am

Now there's funny, I thought you would be talking about the mental approach to guitar building. Like how you need to acquire a pretty zen like feeling to the the work. Like when you have to discard a whole neck that you have spent hours on because it just isn't going to work and you just have to accept the failure and move on.

I have to say that this has been a big step in personal development for me. This has not been my normal style but, at least in the workshop I am a somewhat changed person.

So apologies for taking the post off in a (perhaps) silly direction I will go back and look at the video. Heads do indeed need to be on straight!
------------------
Dave

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:35 am

Nice method, and good demonstration Nigel.
I am a big fan of the marking tape and superglue trick - and have been finding lots of places to use it. Your video is a nice example of its application.
cheers
Mark

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:10 pm

Love that "steel bar" in the trussrod slot. That's cool. I also really like your vacuum cleaner attachment at the end. That hooks on your belt right?

P.s. I've never had any issues with double sided tape leaving a residue.
Pete

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:12 pm

slowlearner wrote:Love that "steel bar" in the trussrod slot. That's cool. I also really like your vacuum cleaner attachment at the end. That hooks on your belt right?

P.s. I've never had any issues with double sided tape leaving a residue.

Hooks on me belt? No, just hold it with me belly.

Cheap double sided tape leaves a right mess. You can clean it up with alchohol but I can promise you, this superglue trick is brilliant. I use it every day, several times a day. Me double tape is in the bin.

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:14 pm

Dave M wrote:Now there's funny, I thought you would be talking about the mental approach to guitar building. Like how you need to acquire a pretty zen like feeling to the the work. Like when you have to discard a whole neck that you have spent hours on because it just isn't going to work and you just have to accept the failure and move on.

I have to say that this has been a big step in personal development for me. This has not been my normal style but, at least in the workshop I am a somewhat changed person.

So apologies for taking the post off in a (perhaps) silly direction I will go back and look at the video. Heads do indeed need to be on straight!

Yep, learning when to quit whilst you're behind is a skill worth learning.