Dremel or trimmer

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

legin

Dremel or trimmer

Post by legin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:41 am

Gday all

I am slowly building up my tool base to start building. I have just built a gobar deck and I'm in the middle of making some radius dishes.

One of the things I need to get is either a dremel or a trimmer. From everyones past experiences which one is more useful. Or do I need both.
I notice there is a lot of jigs designed around the dremel.
I have been woodworking for quite a while and I already have 3 routers. One is mounted in a table.

Cheers
Legin

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Re: Dremel or trimmer

Post by Steve.Toscano » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:11 pm

Both really.
Dremel (along with the stewmac tool) is great for cutting rosette channels, a trimmer is needed for cutting binding channels (along with the bearing cutters).

If budget doesn't permit you can get away with making a rosette cutter from timber and a scalpel/razor blade. But the dremel does a much easier and quicker job of it.

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:12 pm

Most would say get the trimmer and it is a great machine true it's got the power and versatility but I like the Drem for many reasons hand held sanding being one from cleanup with brass wire brushes to mini drum sanding .I also built a universal router attachment so I can do sound holes binding and trimming it is light enough to do the head stock as well.Go for the trimmer it's a sure bet . :)
John ,of way too many things to do.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:55 pm

Don't think that the Dremel will do things like binding channels. You'll be sorely disappointed. I'd say really you would need both, but given the choice of only one, I would pick the laminate trimmer over the Dremel.

You man make jigs for the laminate trimmer to do rosettes, saddle slots etc,
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:02 pm

Dremel: underpowered for binding channels and other heavier work. Good for small intricate work _provided_ the machine you have doesn't have crap bearings and there's no flex in the jig youre using. Some of the newer Dremels have shocking bearing play and combined with any flex in a jig can end up totally stuffing up a rosette job.

Lam Trimmer: has the power for binding channels. I actually use my Trend T5 router for rosette work....you'd be surprised how much you can do with a lam trimmer.

If cash is tight then I'd prioritize the laminate trimmer and do your rosettes by hand until you can afford the Dremel.
Martin

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:26 pm

I was using a dremel on the SM base, attached to the SM circle cutter for rosettes. I was never really happy with it.
I modified the SM circle cutter to take a trimmer base and use the trimmer with 1/4" to 1/8 adapter for rosettes. Much better results due to the better bearings, rigidity, mass and power.

legin

Post by legin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:40 pm

Wow, you lot dont mess around when it comes to replies!!

Thanks for the advice. Looks like the laminate trimmer first up
Now the decision of which one. Looks like a trip to the tool shop to see whats there.
I do like tool shops!

frankfalbo
Kauri

Post by frankfalbo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:17 pm

Normally I don't like inexpensive tools, and I'm not sure what is available to you locally. But if you're deciding how to budget, then I would say get the more expensive variable speed Dremels, but that it's alright to start with the cheapest, junkiest trimmer. It will work just fine for the light duty of an acoustic guitar. And since you set all the offsets yourself and/or use bearing bits, it doesn't even matter much if it spins true. I guess what I'm saying is, if you can afford both by choosing a very inexpensive trimmer, then do that, rather than getting an expensive trimmer without the Dremel.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:27 pm

legin wrote:Wow, you lot dont mess around when it comes to replies!!

Thanks for the advice. Looks like the laminate trimmer first up
Now the decision of which one. Looks like a trip to the tool shop to see whats there.
I do like tool shops!
My favourite machine is a US-made Porter Cable...a 240volt model I got from LMI..unfortunately no longer offered. I have a couple of Makitas...they're well made machines but they don't run quite as smoothly as the PC. What ever you do don't go to Bunnings and buy an Ozito....the one I bought got one run and then went straight in the bin.
Martin

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:44 pm

I've got a Makita laminate trimmer, it was about $155 I use it a lot, mainly for bridges and headstocks, I use a Bosch router for bindings and rosettes and the Dremel for inlays.
Wayne

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:38 pm

Trimmer ftw

I already had a big old router when I started so went for the Dremel cos it seemed to mentioned in every guitar building thing I read at that time. I cut two lots of binding channels before it s**t itself. This was the expensive variable speed one. Have since bought another but it doesn't get used much, pretty much binding channels only. There are now heaps of knock off look a likes on the market, I think there's even an Ozito one at Bunnings.

I would go the opposite to Franks view, buy a good trimmer, cos you will use it for a lot of other jobs. I bought a Makita, fairly expensive but am a bit disappointed with the base, the clamp screw stripped it's thread pretty quickly and the base (and therefore depth of cut) is hard to fine adjust. Might be worth doing a trawl in some local woodwork forums to get a steer on which ones available near you have a good rep. Very versatile tool.

And I may be lucky but I've had a pretty good run with Ozito tools. Their 18volt cordless drill is one of the best and longest lasting I have ever had.

The big old router is a B and D 1.5hp model, it's about 40 years old and still going strong. I paid quite a lot for it then but it doesn't owe me anything. Buying tools these days is a bit of a lottery really when most are made in the same place in China.

Good luck
Richard

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:08 am

Makita makes a round metal body laminate trimmer with a variable speed. Pretty close to the $200 AUD mark. It's a great and I'd buy another in a heart beat.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Max Taylor

Post by Max Taylor » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:18 am

“Rigid” makes a great small “Trim Router” at a very reasonable price. This is the one I have. Variable Speed too.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/trim-router

Worth checking out.

—Max

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:40 am

Allen wrote:Makita makes a round metal body laminate trimmer with a variable speed. Pretty close to the $200 AUD mark. It's a great and I'd buy another in a heart beat.
Variable speed is definitely nice and a soft start is also nice.....the reactive torque on the Makitas is quite nasty. One thing I do with my Makitas is NEVER start the trimmer while its on the work....with a soft start this is possible.
Martin

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:29 pm

For what it's worth....
I have one of these guys: https://sydneytools.com.au/makita-rt070 ... mer-router
With the extra plunge base: https://sydneytools.com.au/makita-19556 ... r-rt0700cx

For less then ~$280 you get a variable speed trimmer, AND a plunge router.

As a plunge router it's a little underpowered if you are wanting to do deep plunge's into something like rosewood, but i can do about 5mm per pass into QLD maple without a problem (for solid body pickup pockets).

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:29 pm

I've had alot of dealings with Sydney Tools and found their service pretty good.
Martin

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:56 pm

I bought the RT0700 from Sydney Tools when that trimmer was first released in Aus. I have a couple of other Makita trimmers and have them deployed elsewhere, eg on a permanenly set up binding trimmer which I made based on the on Stewmac sells. I use it for just about everything, including neck to body routs, template following, edge binding, some rosette work, soundhole cut out, bridge jig, truss rod slotting, the list goes on... As the router base for that wasn't available at the time I bought the base from a shop in the UK for very reasonable price and postage.
I also bought a box of template following inserts for the bases (ebay China). Bear in mind that router bits are an added expense, including the ones for edge binding with the varying sized bearings. I bought the LMI ones.The price of the extra router base from Syd Tools is very reasonable. The reasons I like the RT0700 are:
1) soft start, 2) variable speed, 3) steel height adjustment pinion, 3) metal lower body and therefore metal rack for the trimmer base height adjust pinion, 4) metal trimmer base, 5) much cheaper than other metal bodied variable speed machines on the market in Aus at the time, possibly still currently a good price, 6) availability of accessories, including the router base which is rather good IMHOP, 7) Makita spare parts availability here in Aus.
In short, a great machine!
That trimmer has been available in the US and other countries for years as a kit with three extra base accessories-an offset base, the router base and an angle base.
I have a Dremel set up as well.I was just lucky that I scored it, my kids felt sympathy for me on my birthday last year...
The only gripe I have with Makita is that they no longer sell the wonderful 9820 horizontal wet sharpener that is still available in other countries. Well I think you can get one from Makita as a special order, but the price here last time I checked, is ridiculous.This thing sharpens planer blades, chisels and thicknesser blades perfectly, and with the finer stones which are also around can put a perfectly flat mirror finish on a blade in no time without any heating issues. I want one! (like I used to have access to...) If you have seen Irvin's books, he has two of them as his sharpening station.http://www.finewoodworking.com/2006/02/ ... 0-2-review
It had a modified splash guard and a shop made a tool guide for the plane irons and chisels.Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

legin

Post by legin » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:54 am

Thanks again for the replies.

I do like the sound of the Makita trimmer. I have a Makita router and I love it. Great router. If the trimmer is anything like the router I'm sure I'll be happy. Its also on special at the moment at Sydney Tools but I'm sure I can work something out with the boys at my local Toolmart.

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:10 am

I guess never forget the Drem was made only as a mini spindle grinder of sought's I use the term loosely :D Yep Mac I have the big hand held start that thing up and it want's to take yer arms off at the shoulders :o their gear is pretty good Value for sure jump in regrets won't buy much .
John ,of way too many things to do.