Mould in HHG

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Mould in HHG

Post by blackalex1952 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:29 pm

I have noticed that, after a couple of days my hide glue develops mould in the pot. I am worried that an instrument, improperly treated ie subject to high RH, would develop mould even though the glue might still hold. I have been mixing it up fresh every time I use it now to avoid the issue and maintain maximum strength. Perhaps I am thinning it too much, but it seems pretty brittle after the glue pot has cooled down. The dry area under my bench is 40-45% rh, but the room itself where the glue sits is 75% here in the mountains.
Is there any preservative that can be added to HHG without affecting its bonding capabilities? Advice please...Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Mould in HHG

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:55 pm

Fungicide, an aspirin, formaldehyde.....and the list goes on. I find it easier just to make up small batches and if youre not going to use the pot for a day or two then simply stick it in the fridge.

As for mould appearing on instruments made with HHG...I haven't heard of it and there is furntiure and other items glued up with HHG that's stayed mould free for thousands of years.
Martin

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Re: Mould in HHG

Post by jeffhigh » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:34 pm

The mould only grows in the pot because it does not fully dry out, I have never found it to be an issue in situ.
Mix as needed is how I approach it too.