Quick Spring fixer-upper

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

slowlearner
Blackwood

Quick Spring fixer-upper

Post by slowlearner » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:32 pm

Came across this guy on FB. I figured someone on the forum ought to be able to help he sort his guitar out. Should a quick job...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWEeCtU ... e=youtu.be

... for a hammer. :?
Pete

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: Quick Spring fixer-upper

Post by Mark McLean » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:11 am

Tom is a great guitarist and street performer, often playing in the Pitt St Mall in Sydney. My son, Jack, had a long chat with him about the guitar and played it for a while. If I remember the story correctly Tom and his Dad built it themselves. So, he probably has the ability to re-top it himself when he deems it necessary (like when the bridge finally flies off, with pieces of lattice brace and soundboard attached). In the meantime it definitely gains attention and gets some punters to stop and look.

At the time when Jack played the instrument the top was intact, but that really wide neck was only partly carved, still with a fairly square profile, but he played great stuff on it anyway.

slowlearner
Blackwood

Re: Quick Spring fixer-upper

Post by slowlearner » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:02 am

Well that explains a few things. It's a decidedly odd looking instrument. I suspected he'd shaved the top down for audience affect. The compensated frets just add to the "weird" effect. I wonder what it's actually like to play? :|
Pete