Joiner setup help??

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

matthew
Blackwood

Joiner setup help??

Post by matthew » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi team

I just acquired a "Durden Junior" joiner, rewired it and cleaned off the rust.

The joiner blades are held in place by a steel bar with three set bolts. I have a fair idea of how to set th blade height level with the outfeed table.

But my question is a really basic one - does the blade sit against the forward edge of the blade slot or the trailing edge?? and do the set bolts tighten against the blade or the slot?

I'm also trying to work out what the sliding fence would have looked like. I've got some of the accessories but not that.

anyone got some pics of a Durden Junior?

thanks

Matthew

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:21 pm

Matthew,

If nobody in here can answer your questions then the guys over on the Ubeaut forum will be able to help you.

Heres one thread that might help you

http://www.woodworkforums.com/archive/i ... -1647.html

Cheers Martin

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:46 pm

I have one of thes Matthew.
I will go have a look at the blade arrangement
Dont worry about the sliding fence, it is absolute rubbish, mounted on a single post free to rotate as soom as you apply pressure.
Just use a masonite sheet with a runner against the side of rhe table for a crosscut fence and clamp on a board fro a rip fence.
Jeff

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:10 pm

Ok checked out the blade arrangement.
This is how mine is setup( I think this is right, this was how i got it and it makes sense to me)
With blade at top, from infeed side
-slot face
-bolt heads
-plate
-blade leading edge
-blade trailing edge
-slot face

any further questions just ask
Remembered I have the manual, It does not say the order but does say " the holding strips have the threaded holes drilled slightly off centre, always fit them in the head with the widest side down, otherwise the corners of the hexagon screws may touch the bottom of the head and make it very difficult to tighten the blade in the position you have set them."

If you want a copy of the manual let me know your details and I will send it to you.

Jeff

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:46 pm

jeffhigh wrote: " the holding strips have the threaded holes drilled slightly off centre, always fit them in the head with the widest side down, otherwise the corners of the hexagon screws may touch the bottom of the head and make it very difficult to tighten the blade in the position you have set them."
LOL I just found this out the hard way!!!

Thanks, that's how I have been setting them. Made most sense. but the abovementioned problem had me thinking around in circles ...

I think I'm doing OK so far. But a copy of the manual would be great. See PM.

Thanks Jeff. I knew someone would have one!

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:10 pm

Mathew,

I do not know how you are set up or what your experience is with buzzers but in a pinch, a way to set the knife height so they are all parallel to the table and even throughout the cutter head is to first level the tables with a straight edge, and then very lightly nip up the bolts that hold the knives in place so the knives are all slightly proud of the table.

The trick is to only have just enough tension on the bolts/keys/grub screws whatever you may have, to hold the knife in place, but not so much friction that it will prevent the knife from sliding back into the head with moderately light pressure. This bit is all about feel and can take a little practice to get right.

You then position the cutter head so that none of the knives are vertical or in that position where they would be cutting when the machine is in use. Now you place a sheet of glass on the table across the cutter head and whilst holding the glass firmly down onto the table, you rotate the head slowly around by hand allowing each knife to contact the glass and be pushed down into positioned. Watch carefully here be cause you don't want the glass to lift or one side of the knife to be pushed lower than the other. If this happens, you need to very lightly tighten the screw on that side of the knife.

As each knife is leveled, remove the glass and nip up the set screws move on to the next knife until done. With a little patience, you can be set up and cutting quite quickly.

Cheers

Kim

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:03 pm

thanks fellas for your help.

I managed to get the thing working very well.

I used flat bar magnets to hold the blades in place while i tightened the setscrews.

I set each blade so that it pulls a batten across about 5mm when rotated through TDC, on both ends. A bit fiddly but not too bad.

I love it. Cuts really well, and makes a nice whooshing sound, not a whine like my other power tools.

Now I just have to get the guards and safety things working!

ap404
Myrtle

Post by ap404 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:54 pm

My dear old dad's got the mighty Durden jointer/table saw combo, right next to his Durden woodlathe. I used it tonight to true up a few chunks of QLD maple and love it. It is one solid piece of Australian made gear.

He has had direct contact with the company recently in SA ( ? ) and has bought ancient N.O.S. parts directly from them. They may have original literature or advice re: guards and set-up.

Happy buzzing.

A.P.

RobDyball
Myrtle

Re: Joiner setup help??

Post by RobDyball » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:39 pm

This one's going back a long way... but is that manual still floating around the web?
I've got myself an old junior jointer and it might come in handy for the refurb.

I agree on the lovely whooshing sound matthew :D

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:51 am

Think this one qualifies as the oldest find Rob! :wink: 7 years, not so much 'dug up' as an archeological find! :lol: :lol: :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

ckngumbo
Blackwood

Post by ckngumbo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:06 am

http://www.fwhercus.com.au/jrdebay/ebay ... Manual.htm

Ten bucks but if it's a match . . . .

But there's a guy here offering to scan a copy of his manual
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=115693

RobDyball
Myrtle

Post by RobDyball » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:46 pm

Superb, thanks!
Nick I spent the last few weeks digging through the entire forum history! Beats Dan Brown :lol: