Electric Guitar Wiring

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Lex
Myrtle

Electric Guitar Wiring

Post by Lex » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:04 pm

I have a question for the Electric builders.
I have almost finished an electric build with 2 Humbuckers, basic les paul type wiring, but have the bridge pup cutting in and out, I have checked all solder joints with a multimeter and all seem ok , when the bridge pup goes silent and I start probing with the multi, it comes back on, any advice or tips for locating the problem appreciated.

Thanks Tod

routout
Blackwood

Re: Electric Guitar Wiring

Post by routout » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:36 pm

Are the pots OK I have had them cut out with a slight touch and the switch it could be a bit hit and miss .I just did a 2 Humby vol & Tone apart from putting it on the wrong side of the pot to start all good . :)
John ,of way too many things to do.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:43 am

Yeah I'd be looking at the pots and selector switch first too. Doesn't take much movement of a dodgy pot to make it cut out. Try 'wobbling' the knobs of the pots and selector whilst strumming the guitar and see if you can intentionally recreate the problem. If it does then a good spray with CRC lectra clean (or other equivalent product) should be your first attempt at a fix, if that doesn't work then replacement of the offending item is the best solution.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

MikE2e
Gidgee

Post by MikE2e » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:00 am

Do you have a multimeter? A cheapie $20 or less will do, and save time in future builds. I always test all components individually before installing, even interconnecting cables. I have seen brand new high quality switches intermittent, the contacts being open get dirty. Clean with isopropyl alcohol or vodka wiping with lint free cloth if you don't have a spray cleaner.
In ohms mode, check for close to zero when shorting the meter leads. Then connect the meter to the end of a jack cable plugged into the guitar. Set volumes and tones to max. With switch in neck position 7-10 kΩ will be seen.
In bridge position, slightly more 8-12kΩ, in both or centre about half this.
Then wiggle, change setting of switch. With 2 volume controls the switch is last in line to the outputs.
If the pickup is open circuit when faulty, when switched to that pickup the pot will be measured, so 500kΩ or so. Switched to both, with both pickups disconnected the pots in parallel measure 250kΩ. Assuming you use the standard ones of about 500k (470k)

garryalb
Myrtle

Post by garryalb » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:18 am

Hi Tod,

Do the pus have leads with uninsulated braided shield? The braid or its frayed ends shorting on a hot lug is a common problem.

Garry.

Lex
Myrtle

Post by Lex » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:23 pm

Thanks all, and you were right it was a dodgy pot when I wobble the volume knob it cuts in and out thanks for the help.

Cheers Tod